Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Not a waxer
11,521 Posts
I know guys have done keyless but based on what I've seen with two customer roadsters I'm not impressed. One of them had to be pushed out of the trailer when it arrived then the owner spent about 3 hours troubleshooting and bypassing interlocks to get it to a point where I could hotwire start it to move it around the shop while doing the body & paint. The other one was delivered with a page of notes detailing the start sequence. Even when following the directions to the "T" about 50% of the time I had to power the system down and start over to get the car to start. I told the owner that it wouldn't be a good car to use for the getaway if he ever decides to rob a bank!

Just my real life experience with a sample of two :no:

Jeff

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I installed the PBS-I version of that system in my Gen 3 Coupe. Version that only replaces the ignition switch. Requires a couple ground wires and a connection to the brake switch. Other than that, wires just like the ignition switch. Not on the road yet, but have used it dozens of times. It's been flawless. More details in my Coupe build thread.

I did quite a bit of research before settling on this one. There are several choices, and some quite a bit cheaper. But others had many more components and I could see why they might have the outcomes Jeff mentions.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have that setup. Digital guard dawg. Love it so far! Only thing I don't like about it so far, if the engine dies you have to cycle it off with a long hold, then fire it up again.

If you pull the trigger go direct with the company, call him, He knocked some money off just because I asked.

https://www.digitalguarddawg.com/

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Push Button Start

I think you need to ask why you want it. Security? Looks?

I gave it a lot of thought originally and came to the conclusion that it really did not fit the look I was after, did not really meet any security requirement, and on top of that just complicated things.

I really like the feel of using an actual key in my Vintage Replica

As they say, this is your build, make it yours. :wink2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I've got a much earlier version of that system, and like it a lot. The only time I've had a problem was self-inflicted; other than me not understanding what state (ACC vs RUN) I was in, the system has worked flawlessly.

As Duncalope says, there is a learning curve for quick restarts (like if you stall in the parking lot or at a red light); you have to lift off the brake momentarily before pushing the button. But once you know the trick & practice a bit it's easy enough.

John

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm the guy jeff talked about with the instructions. Most of the instructions are because of the coyote and master kill switch. The full up digital Guard Dawg system is over kill for the roadster, but it provides the motion alarm and remote trunk release. I had the kill switch, kill all power to the car. normally their is a 10 amp bypass circuit breaker to always provide power to the Digital Guard Dawg system. This allows you to just step on the brake peddle and push the lit button to start the car.

Gary

Attachments

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
478 Posts
I installed the Guard Dawg iKey keyless system with push button start and alarm, it has active door, trunk and hood switches plus a trunk release along with tilt, impact and cockpit motion sensors.

https://www.digitalguarddawg.com/keyless-ignition/automotive/ikey/

My installation was complex with a substantial learning curve, but once installed and working it's a very cool and functional add-on.

I'd recommend it if you are electrically savvy and you are willing to put in the time and effort to install correctly.

I do have to admit though, as a backup I also installed the traditional ignition switch under dash which can also start the car independently .

You can see the ignition key under dash in this picture.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mine is more low tech than keyless. I didn't want the key hanging on the dash, so I put the key assembly on the dash support under the dash. Key must be in and on for the Billet pushbutton to work on the dash. Car turns off with a normal twist of the key. I've had numerous people at the one car show I went to, comment on the keyless start system. :grin2:

Scott

·
Registered
262 Posts
Back in the 90s when I was a broke college kid and my daily driver was a Sterling kit car, I put in a push button start. The ignition switch went out and it was cheaper to install a key lock to a toggle switch and push button. I drove like that ever since. Since the car was so low, the stock location for the key would dangle on my legs. Moving the key switch to the floor was great. For the Cobra, I thought about the keyless ignition, but just like the period look of the key. As more of the new cars come out with keyless starts, I have a hunch that I am going to leave my keys in the Cobra when I leave. :)

·
Official OLD GUY
3,715 Posts
Keyless . . . not exactly

Just to throw this out there, my car has a key, but it won't start the car. The "ignition" key is more for looks and only activates some of the functions available with a normal ignition switch in an ON position

Car is push button start but won't start unless the ignition switch (key) is ON.
Basically, everything is interlocked, with no one system working without some others on line (turned on). Since my car does not have a "clutch switch" or "neutral safety switch" I wanted to make sure that no one could start it unless they were in the car and all the systems were on line

Doc :beerchug:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've installed the PBS-II in the hot rod. The difference between the I and the II is the extra output channels which I will be using for door release (no outside handles) and perhaps popping the trunk as well. As mentioned above, wiring it in is fairly simple - just replaces the ignition switch. It does start to get complicated with the output channels and gets more difficult again if you add accessories like motion detect.

It does provide a level of security by doing a proximity detect with the key fob to activate the system. Alternatively, you can keep the system in a manual mode that requires a key press on the fob to activate the system rather than proximity detect.

Again, as mentioned above, the one down side I've found is that to restart a stalled engine you must press the button for 2 seconds to shut the system off and then press it again to start the engine. So after installation, there is a bit of a learning curve to understand that the system cycles through different states dependent on key and brake presses. This can be a source of frustration for someone who hasn't spent a few minutes with it to gain familiarity.

In any case, I'm pretty happy with the system so far during the debug and go kart process.

Steve

·
8,350 Posts
I have the PBS-1 in my MKIV. I Like it, though I had to get used to the start sequence if the car died on the spot (let the clutch out by accident, etc.). You have to put foot on brake, push start button until system closes, THEN start as you normally would. No issue for me at all, now that I know. Plus it would frustrate the hell out of anyone who tried to steal the car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have the PBS-1 in my MKIV. I Like it, though I had to get used to the start sequence if the car died on the spot (let the clutch out by accident, etc.). You have to put foot on brake, push start button until system closes, THEN start as you normally would. No issue for me at all, now that I know. Plus it would frustrate the hell out of anyone who tried to steal the car.
Heh, people have a hard enough time finding the start button on my car when I do want them to start it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts