Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I posted earlier about ignition problems about my car that was resolved. However, now I hear a very bad grinding noise in the back of the car at low speeds even when pushing it in neutral. Almost sounds like its bottoming out on gravel but its not. The sound comes and goes. I didn't take it any faster and its still in the same shop but I never noticed even a hint of that before. Also I noticed the left axle boot is all scrunched up and the left wheel seems to be cocked a little off axis (more than the right wheel). The shop noticed it when it was unloaded off the flatbed. It was towed on a flatbed, the tow straps looked like they were hooked to the frame.
Anyone else have an issue like this? Do you think the towing company could have done it?
Thanks again - this is a great tech board.
Shawn

·
Junior Charter Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention its a tube FFR chassy with IRS. Really tight racing clutch. The shop said its possible the clutch was too strong for the axle and could have bent the axle but I never drove it after the ignition problem...and I pushed it about a mile back to my house when it broke down from the ignition problem with no grinding noise.

·
Senior Charter Member
646 Posts
Sounds like the tie-down was around the axle/ CV instead of the control arm ( not that that is the best place for it anyway). You could probably put it in the air and see if anything is visibly bent.
-Matt

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

·
18,090 Posts
I'd just put her up on Jack Stands and turn the rear wheels with the tranny in neutral and eyeball that half-shaft assembly and listen around as you have a friend turning the wheels for you..

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had the roadster towed once with no damage but I hooked up the car and carefully watched the guy cinch it with the winch. I did have a daily driver damaged sometimes these guys hook the winch up to drive train parts and pull way too hard. They bent the suspension. They ended up paying for it but what a hassle. When you have a 5 ton winch with a steel cable its pretty easy to mangle things. Hope yours is ok

·
3,212 Posts
All too possible that they did hook up to the wrong spot. The systems engineer that I work with spun out in the snow last year and ended up having to get towed. This was a Volvo Cross Country with an IRS rear end. Tow truck driver just threw his hooks around the rear axle assembly to pull it out of the ditch and essentially destroyed the rear driveshafts. Quite an expensive repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts