Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Charter Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum [not car related]I saw a post of a Superperformance Cobra. I commented on the car as really nice and asked if it was a FFR. The reply I got was no, it was a Superperformance that was bought because it was more authentic and the only "officially liscensed replica by shelby". Does the old man really liscense Superperformance? I sorta figured his own company, which who knows what happened to it, was his only "OFFICIALLY" liscensed Cobra. Any comments?

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
I hear those are $80k cars...so I guess they come w/$50K in the trunk

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Yes, Superformance and Shelby made a deal after Shelby lost his lawsuit against Superformance. As Shleby couldn't compete with Superformance (basically because Shelby has about as much business sense as a rock), he chose to join 'em.

The guy was a bit off by saying that Superformance was the "only" replica licensed by Shelby. I'm guessing that Shelby American's replica's are also licensed by Shelby ;)

Superformance & Shelby settle

Pete

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Another SP snob. Yuck!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I love the "more authentic" part. More authentic than what? Does he mean the shape of the body? Must be, cause the authenticity is mostly only skin deep. And as for paying $40-50k for Shelby's autograph, well ... whatever.

Oh, another thing, I guess that smile on my face is worth about $40k.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Turkey Master - Like it or not, Superformance does make a very authentic replica. It IS much closer to the original than FFR (and many others). If that's important to you...

Originally posted by Feddersen:
Another SP snob. Yuck!
LOL - Someone asked me the other day if mine was a Superformance. I was offended - No, I'm building it myself!!! ;)

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
I wonder why Superformance owners consider their cars to be more original than others? The frames I have seen on Superformance cars are farther from original than any I've seen?
I just don't get it?

·
6,546 Posts
The superformance cars are beautiful. No question about it. It's just preference. I'm sure lots of people bag on my FFR since I have a full width roll bar. I'm ok with it. I might think things about someone else's build or car, but I sure as hell wouldn't say, "That sucks."

I like this
Oh, another thing, I guess that smile on my face is worth about $40k.
Think about all the smiles you get when you successfully finish a day of building in the garage. What an investment, heck the Cobra was free after the first 1/2 day of building. :D

It all depends on what you're passionate about. I still don't get what's up with people that bag on one another's car. It's just a car. A really cool one...but still a car.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
The few Superformance owners I know just love the cars and have the money to be able to pay for a very, very nice car. The Uniques, LoneStars, Backdrafts, Shelby American, all have "good people" owners as well as the A**holes. I guess our owners group has both kinds as well.

Smile and move on..

·
FFCobra Fanatic
908 Posts
Todd, it says right on the Superformance site that they are the most authentic replica! How could they be wrong?

More from their site...

What makes the MKIII so much better than its competitors?

It looks like an exact replica should. It is aesthetically and dimensionally correct. It is sure-footed and reliable and is as exciting as the great sport roadsters of the sixties.
To me that's a pretty lame list, but then again I didn't buy one. I think most people buy them because they look good, run good, are available and are factory built with a warm fuzzy feeling attached.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Visually, Superformance is pretty close to the original. IMHO, Superformance and ERA are about as close as you can get short of a Kirkham or a Shelby series 4000. Of course, as soon as you look at the frame of an ERA or a Superformance, it's quite obvious that it's a replica.

The thing that I've never understood is Superformance owners who make a huge deal about being authentic, then put in a 351W. A 351W is a great motor, but if you're going to claim your car is authentic, then the only motor choice is an FE.

Superformance frame farther from the original than any you've seen? You must not have seen many...

Personally, if being exactly authentic is REALLY important to someone, they ought to be saving up for a Kirkham.

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
I agree with PSB. If you're going to be authentic, go with the 427/428 FE and a Toploader. Anything less just doesn't cut it.

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
PSB,
I just live here close to Kirkhams and have seen a lot of their cars through the years. I have also seen a fair share of original cars some owned by Larry H. Miller and some owned by Kirkhams and other private owners. I have seen a fair share of Superformance cars as well. From being in around and under them I don't understand how a non tubular ladder frame from a Superformance can be characterized as closest to an original? Their body's are closer to original than FFR and their interiors look close to original as well, but when you lift the hood or look under them, I don't see the same similarities to originality?
Still don't get the mentality?
JMHO

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I was parked beside one at a show on the weekend, very nice car with a 427W stroker in it. As the owner said his car "looks" more original with 15 inch wheels etc than mine but the FFR has a more original frame with the 4 inch round tubing. In Canada a car like his would be about $35K more than mine
PS the owner of this car was a real nice guy and we talked all afternoon.

·
Charter Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I was a little miffed at the reply, but the guy did say he wasn't mechanically minded enough to build a car and that FFR did make nice cars. Apparently, he has more money than I do at $50large ones, but my roadster [when it is completed this fall] will be plenty close enough to original for me. I do appreciate the info.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It's funny to me that he (and Superformance) claim how authentic they are. To my eyes, the Superformance body is nowhere close to the same as the original cars. The interior looks good though and they are well built.

I wouldn't sweat the guy's comment though. Whether it's Cobras, motorcycles, Corvettes, Mustangs or whatever, there will always be those guys that have to try to make themselves feel better by putting down someone else's car. Just consider the source.

Bobby

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Todd,

I saw a Superformance sitting next to a Shelby 4000 series at a SAAC meet, and with the hoods closed, IMHO, the Superformance looked pretty dang close to the same as the Shelby. One would think there'd have at least one original 427 at a SAAC meet, but noooo. There were two 289 street cars. I have yet to see an original 427 in person :( .

Pete

·
4,494 Posts
Since the agreement between SPF and Shelby was rather recent, I doubt that any of the "Shelby licensed" units are yet on the road. I also don't believe that SPF is going to change anything in their existing design to make it meet some Shelby required authenicity specification (other than maybe a Shelby badge or plate).

However, the reality is, the SPF guy saying it is "more authentic" I believe correctly translates to mean is excuse for getting an SPF is..."I am not able to build one myself so I had to buy one already done".

Us FFR people generally don't point this out to SPF owners who act snooty as we are just a little better at manners. We just tell them their cars look nice and move on.

Bill

·
Senior Charter Member
3,588 Posts
Originally posted by Bill32:
... I also don't believe that SPF is going to change anything in their existing design to make it meet some Shelby required authenicity specification (other than maybe a Shelby badge or plate).
I believe the only authenicity specification required by Shelby is

It wasn't too long ago that Shelby offered to officially endorse ANY Cobra replica manufaturer for the small sum of only $5000 per kit :rolleyes: .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts