Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hss anyone darkened this area, either flat-blackpaint, or otherwise, to kill the glare that reflects off? I always see the gauges, landscape, and other images on the inside of my windshield, and want to stop these images.

Any other tricks?

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts
Go to a local sign shop and buy some flat black sign vinyl. Then you can undo it if you change your mind later.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roughly the idea.

Has anyone tried anything to cut the glare?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
What Glare? I see it in my pictures and videos...but when I'm driving I don't notice them. Too much action going on when I'm driving the cobra or my attention is needed elsewhere.

-Kouros

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
you could always remove the windsheild :D

·
Junior Charter Member
132 Posts
I used a large peice of anti slip bar mat, its matt black and sticks to the dash with out glue or tape so it stayes in the trunk till its needed

jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
1,080 Posts
I tape a piece of leftover liner for my tool box shelves when doing track stuff. The glare is very annoying. It makes my wife sick with the shadows etc. It's like the display I used to get in my fighter jet...never mind, that line never really worked that well.
FredK

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,324 Posts
Chepsk8, I noticed this on my first drive with the windshield. I don't know how just covering the top of dash would solve this since I see the front of the dash and all the instruments. This is quite annoying. Let us know how this works.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,613 Posts
Ever since we had a heater hose break, the flashes/reflections on the windshield look like steam from another. A little annoying. We'll be following your thread.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
Chepsk8,
Same problem here. When we went to the DRAGON my video was very poor because of the reflections especially where my white stripes are. I've thought about some kind of dash cover like Fred mentioned. Maybe try some of that temporary DUPLICOLOR paint that washes off with soap-n-water. If you like it you could always paint it permanently.
Take care,
Ron

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,441 Posts
The problem isn't the body section. On the original Cobras, the dash is set further in under the body lip and angled differently so that the gauges don't reflect in the windshield.

For some reason FFR sets their dash too far out toward the cockpit and at a different angle. The solution is to mount the dash farther back under the body lip like the original cars.

Unfortunately, this would be a fair amount of work on a finished car.

Kevin

·
ChickenCobra
190 Posts
Some years back, when I was racing my white MGA in SCCA club races, I painted the top of the dash in front of the driver with flat black paint. Worked great then, but I certainly would use something removable now. I don't think we had anti-slip bar mat in those days, but that sounds like a great idea !

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
If you're looking for a temporary solution, at work we often use hockey stick tape for reducing reflections. It's not just black, but also has a very matte finish compared to vinyls and mack tacks. Wouldn't look very good for a finished car though.

·
Hook' Em !
56 Posts
Any rally guys here ?

There's a thin velour-like self adhesive dash cover used in rally cars (and other race cars I would imagine) that eliminates windshield glare.

Looks somewhat like a very thin synthetic alcantara leather..... if that makes any sense to you.

If no one knows WTF I'm talking about, remind me to ask one rally car builder friend I have in Argentina.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts