Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I know this was stupid, but when I was tightening the PP to FW bolts I purposly exceeded the 12-24 ft lbs. The reason I did was the flange of the FW (where the bolts are) was not quite touching the flywheel. I'm pretty sure it should touch? I wonder if the clutch is too thick? I got the bolt out no problem and will get some new bolts at Ace tomorrow. They were Grade 8.8, shouldn't I get 10.9? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Charter Member
707 Posts
I have never snapped the bolts, but have pulled the treads on a flywheel. I would get factory replacemnts or stronger. You are talking about the differance from having feet or no feet if that comes apart. Just a thought.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Not sure why those bolts went in so hard? I wonder if the blue Loctite made them turn that hard? It just seemed to me that the clutch was so thick it prevented the PP from seating all the way against the FW? I dry fitted this when I first put in the dowels (without the clutch) and it fit fine? It's hard to see in this pic but you can slip a piece of 220 emory paper between the FW and PP. I was simply trying to seat the PP all the way down. If I get new grade 10.9 bolts and torque to 20fl lbs and there's still a slight gap between the PP and FW is that an issue? I chased out all the threads with a good bolt and some cutting oil, hopefully the threads are o.k.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Scalded, I'm really hoping that the picture is giving me an optical illusion, but I don't see your block plate installed... :(

The block plate should go over the block dowels BEFORE the flywheel. If it's on there and it just got hidden from the angle and flash, no problem, but if you don't have it on there I wanted you to know before you went any further...

HTH...
Mark

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nothcback, Thanks I thought about it. I'll call Mike tomorrow he's the "Master of the drivetrain

BTW are you x-AF? I was 3 years in the 42nd Bomb Wing LAFB ME and 3 more in the 2181st ISS Sq. Monte Vergine Italy. Sometimes I wished I'd stayed for 20.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MM, Thanks as always. Yes, the angle of that pic is almost perfectly lined up with the edge of the block plate. What are your thoughts on the PP?

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
just asking, please dont take this the wrong way, but is the clutch plate in correct??
chas

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
Hi! if you look at the clutch disc and the larger spring side(offset side of the hub) for instance:
| [
|[
| [

if the spring side is facing the flywheel it is in backwards,where the spring side would be mashed against the flywheel hub bolts

it should look like this:
|]
| ]
|]

the spring side should be facing towards the transmission,(rearwards) you will never get the transmission in gear and I agree on the missing block plate, that needs to be fixed before anything.you will not get the starter installed without it.
Good luck!
Ben :D
:D

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,
I had the clutch installed correctly and the block plate is in (can't see it due to the angle of the pic) It's impossible to screw it up since it says "this side towards flywheel"
I am really perplexed by this. The only thing that makes sense to me at this point is that I have the wrong clutch. I dry fitted the pressure plate and snugged all the bolts and it fit fine, only a problem when the clutch is in. I just got off the phone with my father-in-law, who was a mechanic, and he agrees that it must be the clutch. I also asked him about sticking some washers between the PP and FW and he said NO!
I'll double check my part numbers for the PP and clutch and post them tomorrow.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
Yeah that's a big negative on the washers, but the pressure plate should indeed contact the flywheel surface.

Did you tighten the bolts in a criss-cross pattern just a little at a time? If you try to tighten one at a time, that's a recipe for bolt-breaking. Tighten the bolts so that the gap between the pressure plate and flywheel is even all around at all times while you are tightening. For example, tighten a bolt one turn, then tighten the opposite bolt one turn, then move to the next one, etc.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Pressure plate bolts have a captured lockwasher. FordRacing 5.0 flywheels use are metric 8mm some flywheels use 5/16-18 in. Make sure you have the correct ones, they should all be .780 long under the head. The plessure plate should sit dead flat on the flywheel.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pressure Plate P/N: E5ZM-7563-A302
Clutch P/N:E5ZM-7550-A302N AWE

If I can find the same size bolt at Ace in a grade 10.9 can I use it? As long as they are the same type bolt with a good quality lock washer there shouldn't be an issue?

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I spoke to a guy at Forte's who said the P/N's were correct and I could use replacement bolts from Ace. I'm just wondering if the PP is not "opening up" properly or is just real tight causing me to have to use more than 24 ft lbs to tighten? I'll try again tonight with new bolts, no loctite and be sure to use a criss-cross pattern, and the torque wrench set to 24 Lbs.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
You know the bolt and pin kit M-6397-A302 is only $13.95 retail, and those would be correct. Are there no ford racing dealers in the area?? If you do have time I can ship them to you your cost would be $11.94 plus shipping. I am not quite sure you are located but I would think the other guys (summit) could get some there quicker .
Max

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
Russ - I have a new set of the M-6397-A302 bolts you can have. Send me your address and I'll mail them to you. - Frank

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Frank, but I was able to get some grade 10.9 bolts and grade 8 lock washers at Ace that worked perfectly. I believe the key here was to pay attention and torque them evenly in a star pattern. The first time I did this I was drinking a beer and watching the Daytona 500 and not paying attention to what I was doing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts