Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
mk 1.5 original
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always loved midget and sprint racing. Last year me and my wife went to Tulsa to see the race. It was awesome! This is the super bowl of midget racing the best of the best and is pure gladiator s#*t. Anyway we renewed our tickets and are excited about going again.

If you have never heard about it, everybody there are car people and fun. This what it is.
The chili bowl is an indoor ¼ mile dirt track… it looks to be a small ¼ mile to me. the fastest lap times are in the 10.90 second range. the cars can hit 90MPH at the end of the straights! USAC rules are that a midget must weigh 900#. There is no weight rule here. Most of the cars come in 800-925# without the driver. one of the cool things about midget racing is the variety of engines and chassis.The favored engine last year was the Esslinger. Loosely based on the 2.3 OHC 4cyl. Ford. Titanium rods and valve train, dry sump oil system and mechanical fuel injection on methanol. Output can be as high as 400+ HP @ 10,000 rpm. I was told the top dogs have $40,000 in the engine but you can get bye for around $20,000. The favored chassis last year was the Spike. There are inboard disc brakes on the rear, there is only one brake on the left front and it is used to setup the turns. The whole car is chromemoly steel, aluminum and titanium. The only regular steel would probably be the wheel lugs and nuts .
Pretty cool huh!
Chris

·
mk 1.5 original
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may be right on the lug nuts. Last year I talked to a guy that got tickets for a steal on ebay. It might be worth your time to look.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.