Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I should go ahead and buy the one from Factory 5 or is there a better deal out there ? I am running an AOD so I would need to have trans cooler built in or use a seperate cooler (if I go with F5's radiator).Wonder what the Chevy Cobra is using?
Sam

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,423 Posts
Stock HD works great for me! 3-row, no issues, costs less!

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Here's an idea buy whatever you want and mount the trans cooler where the oil cooler would go . If your not going to use the hole. It's little tight in there you made want an aluminum one, allegedly they dissipate heat faster. Bob

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Bob neat idea mounting trans cooler in that opening. Wonder if you would get enough cooling without the aide of the engine coolant to help cool tranny fluid. Even if useing a heavy duty mustang radiator may still want to add a additional cooler and Bob's idea would be perfect for that to go.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,999 Posts
Check AFCO. They sell a nice stang aluminum rad for $185. That's without the tranny cooler but they may have one if you check.

Greg

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Ditto on the stock unit. 120 bucks or so and with the 3 core HD it is more than enough. Has the trans cooler in it. I would run a secondary cooler no matter what. Heat is the enemy of all automatic transmissions. Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Where can you get an AFCO for $185? The least expensive Maustag rad on there web site is $450.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
keep in mind the FFR radiator does not have the upper hose part in the Mustang location, and you will have to do your own upper hose setup. flex hoses, mix & match, whatever. not the end of the world, but just a little more work.

there is a TAD more work to get the radiator aluminum closeoff pieces to fit with the FFR radiator.

the mustang radiator, or an exact fit OEM one has the hose routed thru the passenger F-panel.

the fan shroud will fit perfectly on a Mustang or exact fit OEM Mustang radiator. the FFR unit takes some work to mount the Mustang fan shroud.

the bottom hoses are the same for the FFR & Mustang radiator. as far as cooling, i haven't of anyone with overheating problems becuase of their radiator choice.

here is mine, and below is a standard one w/ standard FFR hose & extension setup. note the FFR supplied block-off plate in my F-panel.

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,999 Posts
Jack,

Go here and click on 27.5" FORD:

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/afco1.htm

It's the one I used. About 2.5" thick and cools like a mutha. It's $195 now. Several other nice sizes to choose from.

Greg

[ December 02, 2006, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: Greg_M ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts