Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the message says, is there any problem with running hte power steering fluid through the built in transmission fluid cooler built into the radiator's left tank? It seems a cleaner look that hand bending a couple of loops of tubing and the cooler is already there and not being used.

Thanks

·
"The" FFR Master
3,172 Posts
You can do it I have seen this done on some cars. Mostly done on the guys who race though.
Make sure you use high presure hose and clamps though. Check the challenge car forum.

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Actually, the PS cooler returns in the low pressure side of the reservoir, so as long as the hose is resistant to PS fluid, and made for power steering systems, it will be fine...Ordinary auto hose clamps are o.k. on this side of the reservoir.
The oil cooler will work , but you will lose the ability to use it to cool your transmission oil (should you need it later).
Adding a separate cooling tube( 3/8" hard fuel line, 48" long, then coiled),will be enough, and leave your oil cooler free for the future. Just my opinion, of course.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do people cool the fliud in manual transmissions? or is that just for friction boiled torque converter juice?

·
Charter Member
972 Posts
I don't think you can cool the fluid in a manual trans, as there is no pump to circulate the fluid.

Dennis B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts