Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
238 Posts
I hear ya vegas....I ran out last night to fill all my work trucks while gas was still $2.42 a gallon at our local ghetto gas... the ole' Chevy Astro's don't seem to mind.... once the market starts to feel Katrina I'm sure it'll jump a half dollar or more. Pat

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
It's costing me $100 to fill up my F250 now. $3.15 a gallon here for diesel. OUCH!

-edited for 6:00 am spelling. DOH!

[ August 30, 2005, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Feddersen ]

·
15,282 Posts
Gas hasn't even twitched here yet. They say if we're going to see any Katrina-effect, it will happen within another 24 hours or so. I think the concerns (at least where oil is concerned) are overstated -- refineries will be back online sooner rather than later, etc.

I paid over $75 to fill the SUV a couple weeks ago, and if I don't drive down to fumes, my daily driver is still costing me about $50/week.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: never sell an oil royalty.

Cheers, John

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Originally posted by Feddersen:
It's costing me $100 to fill up my F250 now. $3.15 a gallon hear for diesel. OUCH!
$3.15/gal :eek:
I feel for ya Feddersen, super is around $3.00/gal here, I am going to start riding the bicycle to work soon.

·
Charter Member
1,083 Posts
My wife and I have switched vehicles for our daily commutes. She's now driving my F250 (V10, 4x4, crew cab)three miles per day and I drive her Accord (4cyl VTEC) for 40 miles per day. She hates it as much as I do. Who knew that gas prices would affect OUR masculinity so much??

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I'm sorry, I have to chuckle a bit. I'm not an SUV fan at all. I have a Suburban, but it sits at all times unless I'm towing. I motor around in my $3000 '96 Accord, getting 30mpg. Guess I just don't understand the mentality behind buying these lumbering giants, but never carry passengers, cargo or tow. They suck gas, are not very manuverable and flip over easily. Sure, if you tow daily or haul, fine. Otherwise, I like my set up. Have a low cost truck for the occassional towing/heavy duty use I need, and a fuel efficient, practical daily driver.

For me, I guess the one good thing is that the prices of these trucks will soon hit the floor. My Suburban is 12 years old with over 150,000 miles on it, so if I need a new tow vehicle, they should be cheap and plentiful.

Steve

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have been doing a major remodel on my house, so I needed a truck that could carry a lot of materials. It's also the family vehicle on the weekends that carries motorcycles, tows a camping trailer, etc. A truck is an absolute necessity for me, an Accord ain't cuttin' it. My wife wanted to get an Expedition, but I wouldn't stand for it since it doesn't have a full-sized bed. The diesel hurts, but at least my commute is only 3 miles

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,293 Posts
$64.35 to fuel my Chevy Astro two days ago.($2.64 gal)
Drove past the same station tonight,$2.97!
A tank a week,and there's no way to cut my driving.27 miles each way,six days a week.
My EX's Integra GSR is in the garage right now,30 mpg vs 20 for the Astro.But it's a premium motor.($3.16 gal)
I'm wondering right now if I'd hurt it if I fueled it with regular and drove it gently.
This is not a theoretical question.
Engine management being what it is these days,I'm thinking the knock sensors are going retard the timing enough to prevent damage.
And most of my driving is highway.Not a high load situation.
Any comments?
I probably should have posted this to a ricer forum.
Joe

·
Charter Member
1,083 Posts
Even if you paid an extra $.20 per gallon for premium, this is only about .7% increase per gallon. However, driving the Astro will cost 50% more per mile. 100 miles in the GSR will cost $10.67 (30mpg, $3.20/gal), 100 miles in the Astro will cost $15 (20mpg, $3.00/gal). You'll drive more than 300 miles per week, a bigger deal.
As the cost per gallon of gas increases, the price difference from 87 to 93 octane gets a lot smaller in perspective.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,318 Posts
Almost any modern computer controlled car will run fine on regular. C&D did a test back around 1990 using a Taurus SHO as their test mule. After reading their test results, I started running regular in my '89 SHO. My gas milage was higher on regular than it was on premium (1-2 mpg). I didn't drive it any easier - it still saw full-throttle acceleration every day. When I traded it in, it had about 110k on the clock - still ran great!

·
4,083 Posts
Hey Klayfish,
If you have your family in the car with you and happen to get into an accident, which vehicle would you rather be in? Your Suburban or your Honda? I drive and SUV and my wife drives an SUV. The price of gas will not make me risk the safety of my family.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,293 Posts
Thanks guys,
I'm going to give it a try with a few gals of regular.
If that doesn't work I'll try mid grade.
Joe

·
4,083 Posts
Meanwhile.....gas prices in Iraq are something like 5 cents per gallon.......how about they start paying back the 87 billion dollars for freeing them in gas???????????

[ September 08, 2005, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Rob Burton ]

·
OT Moderator
13,935 Posts
I wonder if I can run regular in our 03' BMW 325i? It's a lease anyhow?

What do you guys think?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,293 Posts
Drove past the same station tonight.Up another six cents across the board!
WTF!
I'm going to post a new thread.
Stay tuned.
Joe

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Rob, statistially, a large SUV is safer in a multiple vehicle accident, but much more deadly in a single vehicle accident. Just don't make any mistakes.

Regarding teh Geo Metro engine, my step-brother uses them to power his 8" gold dredge (he has a claim in the Sierras). He keeps a spare in teh back of his pickup so that if the dredge engine needs any work he can put in the spare and be ready to go again in less than an hour. teh Metro engine is small enough for one guy to carry.

All the best,
Tag

1 - 20 of 23 Posts