Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What successful ways have people prevented the plug wire on the passenger side 2nd from the rear from melting?

The Kooks headers are ceramic coated and wrapped. I initially had the GM OEM plug wires with the metal casing in place and had a plug wire insulating sleeve around it. The first one just melted off. I then installed a 45 degree angled wire and also put an insulated sleeve over it. Its starting to melt the casing on that one too, and I found it had fallen off the plug yesterday.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue. I asked an LS turner about it and the suggested i buy a set of MSD plug wires, they are safe to bend. It is not advertise that you can do that but I bought a set and it worked great!

·
Senior Charter Member
808 Posts
My coupes brand new 347 just melted 2 boots enough to cause missing! Builder says get new wires and insulating sleeves! Really? I paid some big bucks for this engine you’d think those small details would’ve been worked out.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My first set had two cracked ceramic ends so I had to send back and get another set. They seem like they should do the trick. They do sit on the plugs more loosely than the OEM wires, I hope they don't pop off! I do think it will correct the melting issue though, thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
My first set had two cracked ceramic ends so I had to send back and get another set. They seem like they should do the trick. They do sit on the plugs more loosely than the OEM wires, I hope they don't pop off! I do think it will correct the melting issue though, thanks!
Makes me want to double check mine LOL. Here's a pic of min on the passenger side. I was doing a final fit check for my dip stick, wideband O2, coil wires, and motor mount heat shield. I'm very happy with this side of the motor now.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very clean look. I like how you moved the oil dipstick, thats in a much better spot than mine!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thank you!! The dipstick is Lokar PN ED-5008 and I'll have to trim the length of the cable to read correctly for my LS3. When I was looking around I couldn't find an LS3 specific, so I reached out to Lokar and they gave me this PN with the guidance to trim the cable to length. I then flipped the mounting tab over, made a half inch spacer to hold it in a manner to clear everything, and then bolted in an open spot on the head.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are a talented man! Do you plan to wrap the headers? I hated to do it on mine because they look so great unwrapped but I was afraid of the heat issue in the engine bay.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thank you Sir. I'm throughly enjoying this build, although I wish I was making more progress. Most of the cool stuff I have in my head is way down the road in the build.

I'll leave them unwrapped. I did get them fully ceramic coated and got a set up non-cat pipes to cut down any more heat. I wish I would have thought about the non-cat pipes when I ordered my Kooks, but oh well.

I'll probably integrate most of Shane's fixes for the rear to get the heat out, but I think a rear hatch like this will REALLY help. It will be a HUGE undertaking to make my own out of carbon fiber, but I plan to make most/all the CF stuff on my GTM myself.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats very impressive that you have the ability to fabricate the CF stuff on your own. That really opens up a lot of options for your build. I think that rear hatch pic you posted would look great on the GTM.

I had my Kooks ceramic coated as well but wanted to do everything I could to keep the heat down. Shane has some great stuff for that effort, of which I bought most items. I do have the glass lid, I love being able to see the engine. It has been an impressive point of interest to admirers of the car too!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I must agree, I love the idea of being able to see in the hatch with the glass, but heat management will be a tick higher on my priority list. So...I'll attempt to make a killer one of a kind rear CF louvered open hatch. That way you can peak in there a bit, its a nice piece to look at, and it will function nicely for airflow out of the engine bay.

I will admit, I'll have to plan out that piece rather extensively before I even attempt a CF one, but its totally doable. Making it look good will be the challenge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts