Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an MK 1 from a widow who knew very little about the car. There is a knob in the glove box that is very hard to turn and I can figure out what it is. I pulled the knob off and there seems to just be a shaft that can spin if I put a wrench on it.

Any ideas on what this could be?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check on the other side of the firewall in the engine bay to see what that shaft goes to. Maybe windshield wipers or heater/defroster.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
those are my 2 guess as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I’m thinking heater, but the guy actually did a great job putting aluminum, dynamite, and carpet everywhere. Going to have to do some cutting to get under the dash unfortunately

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah I’m thinking heater, but the guy actually did a great job putting aluminum, dynamite, and carpet everywhere. Going to have to do some cutting to get under the dash unfortunately
Before cutting or removing anything I'd look in the engine bay and see what that shaft possibly goes to. If there is nothing on the opposite side of the firewall from that shaft then it is not the windshield wipers or heater defroster. At that point you'd have to get behind the dash to figure it out or just leave it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If you know the name of the builder, you could try searching the forums to see if he posted any photos during the build.

Norm

PS After conducting a quick search I think it might be an airflow diverter switch to control the airflow to heat or defrost.

Reactions: Shoemaker

·
Senior Charter Member
1,824 Posts
If it was a switch it more than likely would be easy to turn. So i'm leaning in the same direction as Norm, if its that hard to turn its probably hooked to a cable controling something to do with the heater/ defroster if the car is so equiped.

Reactions: Shoemaker

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,065 Posts
Maybe started out as a right hand drive cobra? (lol) Just Kidden--:)

·
7,710 Posts
Maybe to open/close a fresh air vent into the footbox?

Ray

·
356 Posts
It’s the closed off end of a piece of tubing that for whatever reason ended up sticking through the back of the glovebox so he stuck a knob on it to make it look like it’s supposed to be there.

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
Brake bias adjuster?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update:
after removing some aluminum shrouds and poking around with my inspection camera, I have found more info.

The car has a heater core above the passenger front wheel well and I found one coolant lines comes from it, tees off and goes through the firewall. I can’t see clearly but that line has a brass fitting on it behind the glove box which the rod is tied to. It looks like maybe a gate valve that the knob would screw or unscrew? It seems not to be working any more because the rod is stripped.

I’m taking the body off in a week or two so I’ll have some real answers then.

Attachments

·
316 Posts
looks like a shutoff valve to stop the coolant from running through the heater core , i have one in mine ive only had it open once car makes enough heat on its own

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that’s it! This car is definitely 20 years old but the more I dig the more I am impressed with the small details in the build.

·
Snake Farmer
10,367 Posts
I'm not sure what heaters were being used back on the MK1's. The Vintage Air heater that was commonly used during the MK3 era, had a push-pull control cable for the water valve, which is combined with a rotary fan speed knob.

There was concerns raised that if using the stock 5.0 EFI set up, combined with the donor engine heater core coolant pipe, that incorporated an ECT, (engine coolant temp) sensor. It was recommended that you have a by-pass valve to allow coolant to still flow passed the sensor, if you turned your heater core water valve off .Without the bypass, your ECT sensor wouldn't get correct readings, to send to the ECM, and could affect the engine performance.
Is it possible this could be a control for a by-pass valve?
This older thread discuss's this subject matter.
Heater shut off valve

Picture of heater core pipes. They run down the right side of the engine, along the EFI intake manifold.The ECT sensor is shown.

images (1).jpeg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts