Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Charter Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my dog smashing, uninsulated, drafty garage door & opener with a nice weatherproof one that won't crush everything in its way. But, I have a problem. My door opening is 14' 9.5" wide and 6' 10" tall. I found a door I like a lot for $800, but there's no way it'll fit because it doesn't come in weird sizes like that. Everyone seems to make them in even one foot increments, with a few offering slightly different heights.

My options seem to be getting a custom door made ($$$) or tearing stucco off each side of my garage door opening and trying to patch it up and make it look nice. I think I'd have to take it off both sides because it would be quite visible if it was only done on one side.

So I guess my question is, are these really my options? I don't have enough money to just pay someone else to rebuild the front end of my garage. My house is only about 10 years old. Why would someone build a house with such weird dimensions? :mad:

Ok, my last, desperate idea. I could put 5" of trim on each side to narrow the opening and get a 14' wide door. I can't even really fit two cars through the door as it is, so I'd love to try after doing that. Ugh, someone put me out of my misery.

·
Charter Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of that. The garage door customer support person I talked to said it has to fit exactly. I presume the door opening should be framed a little large and trim pieces can make it just right. But, ours is far from that, so I don't really know.

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
If you want a good low cost door, consider a Wayne Dalton and I-Drive opener (Lowes). The I-drive for a Wayne dalton door needs no sensors at the bottom and has an adjustable pet height setting. The up and down force are automatic and computer controlled. I'm not sure if they come in off sizes but what I can tell you is the suport person is dead wrong. You could easily pud in a 8'X16' door with no problems, as long as you have enough width and head room. Any conventional garage door is 100% inside the room.

·
Banned
1,279 Posts
Absolutely no need for it to fit exactly. The door sits completely behind the framework when closed. The only reason you'd need it to fit exactly is if there's a pattern or some such feature that would look like crap if the outer edges are covered. Get a 15' x 7'. No problem.

·
Charter Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wayne Dalton at Lowes is what I have been planning on. That's good to hear that a slightly larger door will fit. Sounds like a 15x7 is the way to go. I'm a little weirded out, though. Everyone I've talked to at Lowes and WD have had no idea what they're talking about.

Quote from Wayne Dalton "customer service" person:
"I don't know if you can get a door that size. Why are you calling me? We're customer service."

·
Senior Charter Member
6,096 Posts
Like Arachnyd said, it goes behind the frame. But, be careful, if it is shaped to look like it has stiles and panels, be sure the side stiles are wide enough that they will still contact the weather striping. Otherwise it will not seal well and your garage will be very leaky. I would think that with a 15' and a 14'9" space you will be fine because that means you only need 1 1/2" overlap on each side and the side stiles are probably 3 or 4 inches wide minimum.

I have sears chain drive openers and a genie screw drive opener. The Sears units are very noisy and jerky they also have a tendancy to open automatically when power comes back on after even momentary power outages. We come home from work sometimes and the doors are wide open. The screw drive opener is real nice. One drawback though is I have 8' high doors and HD did not carry an 8' high model. This of course is not an issue in your case.

My truck is a real tight fit in the garage so I didn't put the sensors at the ground level. Instead I put them at bumper level. If I haven't pulled the truck in far enough, the door won't close.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I just put an odd sized garage door (5-10 wide)on a shed we built behind our office. the local garage door company charged us $40 to cut down a standard 7' door.

All you have to do is stay away from HD and Lowe's and go with a local guy.

By the way, HD wanted about $600 for the 7' door, and custom cutting was not available. The local guy charged $400 for the same door, plus the $40 cut down fee....installed.

Aw heck, JB9, I forgot you're in my neck of the woods. Just call Carmichael Overhead Door - they've done a number of doors for me.

All the best,
Tag

·
Charter Member
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shodan, will do. I'm getting tired of the hassle of the big box guys. I wanted to save a buck, but maybe I'm going about it the wrong way. I'll give them a try.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I say go with a pro and have a garage door guy come and fix your problems. Some things are best left to the people who are experts. Not saying it's rocket science, but there is definitely a learning curve with garage door installation, measuring, maintenance, etc. -- problem is, why go through all that learning when you'll probably never have a need to use it again for 20 years. The amount of $$ you save will hardly be worth the trouble, and if you screw it up trying, you'll actually be out more $$ than if you did it the right way. Also, there is one step of garage door installation -- loading the springs -- that is downright dangerous if you do not know what you're doing.

A good example of knowing when to turn to a pro just happended to me. This weekend I went up to my cabin with the family for the holiday. A tree along the edge of my property snapped within the last month, and the top 5' or so of this 40 footer is perched above my roof. Other trees between the snapped tree and the roof are "supporting" the downed fella about 10' above my roof.

I could've very easily gone out there with my chainsaw and hacked away at the remaining trunk to "hope" that the tree would fall away from the house. And I'd probably have done it right -- maybe an 85% chance of success. I thought about it, looking over the scene from all angles, and even started to think about possible serious injuries to myself from a falling tree I'd be next to (holding a running chainsaw!) and not really knowing which way she would drop. The more I thought about it, the more I decided that it simply was not worth the risk to save a few $$.

The same principle was in effect here -- leaving it to the pros. The 15% error factor simply was not worth what it cost to call a local guy, who has the experience, the equipment, and the manpower to safely remove this hazard.

Not trying to give a sermon, just my practical 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,595 Posts
Just let a pro do my garage that I built this summer. 16', aluminum, insulated, window section installed for $1,000. The wife was satisfied with the price and my continuing sunny disposition. I still have to do the opener.

But in answer to your basic question. The door is mounted inside the garage not the opening. Give the pro a call and see what they recommend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts