Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a g-tech at summit, they're only 79.95 right now couldn't pass it up.

Anyways what kind of 0-60 times have people seen on their street tires.

Has anyone compared accuracy versus the drag strip?

Thanks

Todd

·
8,275 Posts
Todd

I have a G-Tech pro and have compared it to the strip timers. What I found is that mounting it very solidly is key to consistancy. The suction cup mount it comes with is too flexible, you really need to attach the hard mount. I used to use a Vericom VC2000 and it was within a tenth and 1 or 2 mph but it had a much better mounting system. The next time I go to the strip I will have the G-Tech hard mount and will be able to see if it's any better. As far as 0-60 times I was getting anywhere between 3.6 and 4.1 seconds but as I already noted the meter really needs to be solidly mounted so I won't claim those numbers are that accurate.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So If they aren't accurate do you think that means the times are showing faster or slower than real.

I've run 12.5 @ 110 12.0 @116 altitude corrected in my mustang weighing 3600 lbs.

I put that motor in the cobra and got a 4.5 reading from the G-Tech.

I haven't gone to the track for an official time but they had a 1000' street legal drags(no timing) and I beat my buddy who runs consistent 11.70's, and I had my street tires on.

So the numbers just aren't jiving

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
I think I can help with some of the questions here.

I've had my orginal G-TECH for 6 or 7 years. I proabably was their first customer! :D

I've taken it to the track many times. The E.T. has always been with in a tenth of a second from my timeslip in either direction. Only once have I recieved a "way-off" reading.

The MPH will always read High on the original G-TECH. THe faster your car is the more it will be off. For example: On my 87 formula 350 firebird, I run a actual: [email protected] but the GTECH would read [email protected] Then in my 68 R/T Dodge, I'd run an actual [email protected] and the Gtech would read [email protected]

I've been told that the Gtech reads your actual MPH when finishing the 1/4 miles and at the track they clock your MPH before you actually finish.--I've heard this more than once but don't know forsure.

My MKII is not finished so I can't say what it runs, but my GTECH would read 3.9-4.2 O-60 in my 11sec dodge and that was a 3700lb car with 375 rear wheel HP, about 450-475 at the engine due to a very loose torque converter and stingy 727 tranny.

Good Luck, and be safe!

·
8,275 Posts
Todd

The G-Tech always read slower than the track timers with a higher mph. Actually thinking about it the roll out at the track may account for the ET difference and maybe the mph is just always high as FordManDan points out above. I need to go back and read the manual. I seem to remember there being a roll out setting and even a correction factor that may allow the mph to be fine tuned. I expect to be heading back to the track again soon so I will continue to expriment.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,291 Posts
I have a G-tech (original version) that I use in my Volvo 850 turbo at the drag strip. I usually see about .1 to .2 faster times on the g-tech and about 3-4 MPG faster speeds. For the most part it is fairly acurate. I also read something like the g-tech is reporting actual speed for the MPH where the drag strip is using the distance between the 1000ft mark and the end of the 1/4 mile to do a calculation from the amount of time it took to clear that distance to find your final speed. So the g-tech should be a bit different for that measurement.

I hear the new one uses three gyros and is more acurate.

Nathan

·
8,275 Posts
znaut.

That's the type of mount the G-Tech needs! Much better design. Very similar to my Vericom. The only problem with the Vericom is that it's huge in comparison to the G-Tech.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts