Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Hmmmm
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old cedar chest I am refinishing.

The lid under the laminate is oak I guess, and under that is cedar. So there is a 1/4 inch piece of oak, and 1/4 piece of cadar towards the inside. That laminate came off fine. I figure this is going to be an easy project.

The sides and front are different though. They are laminate directly over the cedar. The laminate is peeling off, except where it isn't, and there it is held on by the strongest adesive known to man. They should use it for the space shuttle tiles. And the cedar is soft, to I am tearing the holy heck out of it trying to get it off. I have soaked it in Acetone, Mineral Spirits, and Prepsol (used to clean off the cobra wax and mold relief before sanding - it smells like it would dissolve adhesive), and I have also used various combinations of all three ;) . I've tried a steam iron, and just water. How in the heck do you get this stuff off? Should I buy a power planer, acetyline torch, what?

Thanks,

Kip

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Try MEK - methyl ethyl ketone - paint stores have it, and even HD I think. The laminate adhesive was probably based on benzene (nasty stuff) and none of the other solvents will do much good - it's SUPPOSED to be bulletproof.

Use plenty of ventilation, or plan on seriously lowering your IQ and sex drive.

All the best,
Tag

·
Hmmmm
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tag,

I got out the heat gun and that got most of it. I used some MEK too, on the few parts left, and they came up. Yes, that is some nasty stuff!

Thanks,

Kip

1 - 3 of 3 Posts