Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Massachusetts, we are required to carry a front license plate on our street cars. I don't want to spoil the lovely Cobra face with a contrived bracket. I know such things are available from Finish Line, for example, but that is not to my taste.
I would much prefer to install a front spoiler (like the spec racers do) and mount the plate to that. I wonder if anyone has tried that.
For street use, I believe the spoiler would need to be spring-mounted to some extent, to allow the bottom lip of the spoiler to raise maybe 1 1/2-inches further off the ground at slow speeds, for more ground clearance. Air pressure at higher speeds would push the spoiler down into its working position, hopefully without any possibility of fluttering.
I plan to give this a serious try, since it would keep me legal with my front plate (lower left of the spoiler), without disfiguring the front of the car. In a way, it might look like the State of Massachusetts was one of my sponsors! I am looking for the group's wisdom on this matter. Thanks.

·
Junior Charter Member
711 Posts
There is also an electric bracket that the Hot Rodders use that could raise and lower the plate. HTH.
mannyjoe

·
Registered
554 Posts
Hi Pierre,

I'm using an A/C vacuum motor to raise and lower my back-up light. I was thinking of a similar setup for the front plate to hide it when parked. Now you've got me thinking about a spoiler. I think your idea of pair of springs to raise the spoiler at low speed will work. How will you configure it to hide the springs?

John S.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.