Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is weeks away from being completed and it's going to be too cold up here in Vancouver, Canada to drive it anyways.

I need to move to a warmer climate.

In the meantime, my wife Arlene and I have decided to head to Maui for 10-days beginning December 3rd.

So, I was wondering...

Are there any FFR cobra owners in the area interested in taking me for an island ride and a little Cobra talk?

Pleeeeeeaaase say yes.

·
5,559 Posts
James,

There is a place called "Island Riders" that rents all sorts of exotics by the hour, or day. When we were there a few years ago, we rented a Viper RT-10 for 24 hrs. Since it was at one of their other locations on the island, they gave us a cool Porshe roadster to drive for a couple of extra hours while we were waiting. At the time, they had a Cobra replica (not FFR), but I don't remember what make. It was 351W powered, though. They also rent Harleys too, if you like bikes.

The Viper was a torque monster, but definitely not as quick as a Cobra. It also seemed to lug around town when in traffic (which is always the case on Maui). To enjoy the car, you really need to go up in the windy mountain roads where the wineries are.

While my wife and I were exploring a single lane road carved into the side of a mountain, we had to stop because a jeep was coming in the opposite direction. It just so happened to be Sean Connery driving it! He warned us of a rockslide ahead on the road, and said, "You look absolutely smashing in that car". Thought that was pretty cool, even though he probably knew it wasn't ours. He had to drive one side of his jeep up on the cliff wall just to make enough room for us to get by.

Brian

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Brian,
Pretty cool story. Just got back from Maui a few weeks ago and they have a red roadster that can be rented at Island Riders. It looked like a Unique but was hard to tell. The road leading up to the west coast of Maui would be a beautiful place to take one or any high end convertible. Truly an amazing drive. Just don't get caught looking too much at the scenery in a fast car like that or you'll end up driving right off a cliff.. Man how I wish I was still there right now.
Raul

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,717 Posts
You guys have way too much free time on your hands. I can't remember the last time I could take that much time off.

ben

·
2,203 Posts
I was on Kuaui two weeks ago and was thinking it would be a bummer to live there and have a Cobra or a Harley. Not enough road and the highest speed limit on the island is 50 mph. It would be fun for a day though.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
I'm not sure what island he is on, but go over to Club Cobra and ping Excaliber. He live in Hawaii and knows all of the Cobra owners. I'm sure Ernie will hook you up.

MIke

·
FFCobra Fanatic
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maui, what timing. It's snowing here.

Brrrr. I think I need a drink with a little umbrella in it. Maybe I'll give that Viper a go and I will ping the other forum.

·
5,559 Posts
Chris,

You just can't beat the natural beauty of Kuaii, even though it wouldn't be the best place for a Cobra! We've been twice, and been on each of the islands, and I have to say Kuaii, and Mauii are my favorites. The big island is cool because of Volcano National Park, but other than that it's just overcrowded, and too developed for my taste - but would probably be the best choice to actually live on for those same reasons.

I'm hoping we can get back there this winter some time. We have free skymiles flights, and we're worried we'll lose them if Delta goes the bankruptcy route!

·
2,203 Posts
I agree...Kuaui and Maui for sure. We prefer Kuaui as a close friend owns several Condos on the beach in Kapaa and the stay is free. :D Also, for sheer beauty you can't beat the north end of that island. It's like the Garden of Eden! No place for a Cobra though! Huge potholes in the roads up there. I bottomed out my rental car a number of times on this last visit! :eek:

·
Junior Charter Member
159 Posts
Oh, man. You guys have hit on the jewel of the Hawaiian islands. I love Kauai, and my family is going back there for a 3rd year in a row this New Year's. We're renting a place on Annini Beach this time(last year was Anahola and before that Kapaa). I can't wait--already booked the ATV ride at Kipu Ranch!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
My kid is going to school at UH on Oahu, so we've spent some time there. I have decided that while some islands are nicer than others, it's relative. They're ALL nicer than Minnesota in the winter.... :D :D

All the best,
Tag

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.