Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFR Cobra Fan
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a good set of the quad shocks. What should they cost and could they be mailed to me at my APO box number? I'm US military stationed in Germany and the parts are too hard to get. I would need them sent US Post Office. It's a US address. Thanks in advance guys/gals!

·
Charter Member
349 Posts
Steeda has them for about $60 a pair if my memory is correct. They are a kinda funny blue, but serve the purpose.

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
You're better off to get the polyurethane bushings for your IRS (and lose the quadshocks )from Vintage Performance Motorcars (see vendors list), I think. That's what I did, and it works great.

Forrest

·
450 Posts
You can buy replacement quads from Pep Boys for ~$15 a piece.

I have the Poly bushings on my IRS uprights. As a test i have marked the locations on the quad shafts, I know they are doing something in that direction judging buy the travel indicated, I am not sold that they are not needed. Going to the VPM Poly bushings has helped reduce wheel hop for sure. Could the upright moving front/back cause a toe change??? I am thinking about replacing the quads with a solid bar with two rod ends (radius rod???), what do you guys thik of this idea???

·
FFR Cobra Fan
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info! Just ordered them through Steeda. $57.80 Another logistical problem solved. :D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Greytracer,

Do not replace the quad shock with a solid linkage. As the suspension moves up and down the distance between the quad shock tab on the upper arm and the tab on the frame changes, so using a solid linkage will cause the suspension to bind. This is the same reason why FFR reccomends NOT to use aftermarket quad shocks that have an internal spring.

Depending on how you marked your quad shock shaft, you may just be measuring the shocks normal movement from the up and down movements of the suspension. With that being said, the poly bushings may be flexing a little, the only way to eliminate movement completely in the suspension would be to run solid bushings, but that would increase ride harshness.

craig

[ December 10, 2002, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: craig mapstone ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts