Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my donor in the garage for the stripping process, and have a real problem I hope someone can help me with. The car is complete and runs great, but doesn,t have a dash and all the wiring is just hanging out. All the ends are there and appear to be in good condition, but this car had every option there was, and the wires look like something from star wars. Nothing was marked, and I don,t have the energy, or patience to figure it all out. I,m keeping EFI, so I need some of it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Get a Helms wiring diagram, it is year specific. The nice thing about the harness is that the plugs are all unique. They will only plug into the proper matching plug. The Helms diagram will show the shape of each plug, making it fairly easy to identify every circuit.

You could also send the complete harness to Roger Stine or Rob Weatherbie and let them do the wire diet for you.

If you are just starting on the donor tear down and you are already out of energy and patience, you may be in for a long build. ;) :D

[ December 31, 2002, 11:33 AM: Message edited by: teamfour ]

·
Senior Charter Member
116 Posts
You're not kidding!!! I just finished the donor teardown. Even pulled the engine and tranny alone. It was fun, but alot of work in a short period of time. My wife gave me one week through the holidays to get it done and the carcass hauled out of the garage.

I am looking forward to a relatively grease free and slow but steady build!!!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
holy cow. One week? Did you have that week off? I know others have done that in one weekend but I don't have that kind of free time. My donor is a major eyesore adn I'm sure I'm going to open the door one night and see all the neighbors with torches and pitchforks. I did notice the other day that Home Depot was out of pitchforks. Hmmm

·
FFCobra Fanatic
888 Posts
Weeding out the unused circuits is tough but not insurmountable. Get the right books/diagrams and TAKE IT EASY. On my donor I made the mistake of only labeling the plugs I was planning to use, so you're not much worse off than that. Donor had no cluster so those wires and plugs were just dangling. It's taken me more than a month on the wiring but it's all trimmed and mostly installed. Accomplishing that makes the time spent well worth it. Bob

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
When taking the donor apart , it is not important what does what...just number each matching wire connector with some sort of numbered tag...then when you get your MKII set up and ready , reconnect everything that you still have ...anything left over , after all electrics are working is fat...trim it.
Otherwise , hire an electrical engineer....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts