Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my kit on 6/5 but business trips and the open house has kept me from doing much more than taking inventory on the kit. At the open house, Oldguy (Joe) suggested I assume that FFR has put the body on where it belongs and that I should take care of the fitting before I pull the body off. This seems like a great idea to me but a search has turned up some comments that the windshield and mirror might need to be mounted as well as the bulb seal.

So, how critical are these items and should I move ahead with this idea?

Thanks
John

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
John,

It can't hurt to make a note of the number of washers that were used by FFR as shims when they attached the body. This will at least give you a starting point when you get to the point of putting the body back on. Last week I put my body back on one year after taking delivery and I had no idea how many shims to use or how tight to pull the body down to the frame. It is just trial and error at this point, seeing how it looks.

The bulb seal may change the fit a little but the windshield should not.

HTH

Tom

·
5,559 Posts
It was more important on the older cars like mine. On a MKIII, you should be fine, as there is plenty of adjustments on the hinges, as well as the striker to get the doors to hang right. Same with the new hood hinge. I would say that you should be safe doing most of it without the chasis. Then right before paint, throw it together to see if everything works and fits correctly.

Brian

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brian,

It's a MKII. Right now the body is still on the chassis as received (picked-up) from the factory. I haven't had time to pull the body off yet and Joe's idea seem to have a lot of merit. Just don't want to spend a bunch of time fitting and trimming only to find out something further down the build will pull the body enough to affect the fit.

John

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Pull it, do the seams, build the rolling chassis with motor in it, fit alum that holds body, fit body and windscreen, exhaust, fit doors, hood, trunk and top if you have one. Take apart and paint.
If fitted correctly the doors will not fit without the windscreen fitted. To prove this, the last car we did had a soft top and we did not have the top when we fit the body. What happened was we pre fit everything and ran a nice tight gap and when the top was installed we had to re angle the windscreen, this in turn changed the cowl slightly and we had to refit the doors. Not enough to cause a problem but any more and we would have had other issues with the doors. As alway this is just my opinion. Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Before you pull the body off, you might want to hold the dash panel in place and mark where it sits on the bowed 3/4" tube. I wished I had done that when I started to mount switches and indicator lights in the dash panel.

Charlie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts