Factory Five Racing Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Charter Member
6,124 Posts
He should do pretty nice on that car purchase. They are selling for a lot more. They are about $275,000+ right now.

Sounds like he totally lucked out buying the car because he thought it looked cool.

·
Charter Member
706 Posts
He paid $170,000 new in 2006. He said he was sure it was worth over $200,000 today adding that what he called the "heritage edition" the blue and orange colors (I thought it was called Gulf colors) were far more valuable, approaching $300,000. But, if you haven't figured it out already, this is a guy with a ton of money and very little knowledge of cars.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The Triangle Cobra Club saw the movie on Sunday the 24th. Very good movie & worth seeing.

Pauls picture from the other end of the line-up. GT40 was not about to make it.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,298 Posts
I just finished watching another tribute to the man.

Netflix has "Shelby American" out now, dated 2019, 1 hour and 58 minutes long. It covers Shelby's life from when he grew up to his death and some of the continuing uses of his name and influence. There were several clips from the other movie I posted about (The 24 Hour Wars) but mostly it was stuff that I had only seen in bits and pieces with quite a lot of footage new to me and a whole lot of words by the man himself.

Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am lucky to have one of the few remaining drive ins in Australia, only a few miles from home. Went and saw the movie on Saturday night. The weather was perfect and we had a blast. Was the only cobra there, so there was a constant flow of people coming for a chat. Stopped off for beer and pizza on way home. Pulled into the garage around midnight feeling extremely blessed.

Cheers Nigel in South Oz

·
Senior Charter Member
6,298 Posts
I just finished watching another tribute to the man.

Netflix has "Shelby American" out now, dated 2019, 1 hour and 58 minutes long. It covers Shelby's life from when he grew up to his death and some of the continuing uses of his name and influence. There were several clips from the other movie I posted about (The 24 Hour Wars) but mostly it was stuff that I had only seen in bits and pieces with quite a lot of footage new to me and a whole lot of words by the man himself.

Regards, Rick.
Here is more on the topic.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,853 Posts
I saw it in a theater right across the street from the Daytona Speedway. Walking up to the theater, sound from the NASCAR experience cars was bouncing off the building. There were 8 people in the theater total and nice big reclining seats with footrests. Awesome way to see a movie.

I think they did a good job. No CGI and as far as I have ever heard and read, they stuck to the basic facts. The only part of the story that I didn't know was that Shelby bet his company on getting Ken in the car at LeMans.

I don't know if at one point Ford tried to buy Ferrari, I doubt Shelby cheated like shown in the film. Time for some reading!
They are both accurate. The fact that Ferrari used Ford as nothing more than a ploy to drive the price up is why the GT40 exists. Enzo being hot headed is also why Lamborghini, a tractor company, started making cars. Cheating and playing head games has always been part of racing. The general thought for "innovators" is that if the rule book doesn't specifically say you can't, then it's legal. Even Shelby's overalls were part head games (don't worry about those hillbillies) and part marketing, standing out to the public. Shelby was always ready to bend or sidestep rules.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,298 Posts
I found another short clip (16 min) of Shelby documentary.

I haven't looked yet but the videos at the end seem to be more Shelby related stuff.

Regards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dragged my wife and college age daughter to the Cinema last Friday to view the Movie. I was surprised to see a story centered more on the Ken Miles side of things rather than what I thought was going to be a story about Shelby Cobras, Daytona's, and GT40's. However, It was interesting to see the more human side of the story, which I'm sure made the movie more watchable to my wife and daughter.
Here in Chiang Mai Thailand, The movie only showed once per day to the end of the month. Attending the showing was hardly any Thais and mostly Foreigners, which is understandable. Too bad my FFR Cobra is still in the build stages, or I would have attended driving that instead of my Ford Everest. I think now my Thai wife has a better understanding about why I like the 60's era Cars so much, and particularly the Shelby Cobra and Daytona.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is more on the topic.

I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I did see the Shelby American Netflix documentary about a week ago and really enjoyed it. Seems like it would be very appropriate viewing prior to going to the movie.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts