Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Insight and interviews on movie with director and actors. Check out comments made about "Those little cobras" starting at minute 4:46

Our local Shelby Club has been invited to participate on opening day by putting our cars on display at one of the local theaters, we were also offered the chance to watch the movie (pre-release) the day before opening day.

I'm sure it will be "Made for Hollywood" based on a true story but I'm still looking forward to the driving scenes and entertainment value.

Saul

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
Love it! Can't wait. I wanna go see it at YOUR movie theater! Might be a little wet to take the roadster to the theatre up here in November :frown2:

What a great fun idea having a lineup of Cobras parked out front!

Sean

·
Charter Member
703 Posts
The movie is based on a book "Go Like Hell Ford, Ferrari and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans" by A.J. Baime. In the early 2000's Baime was a member of this Forum and occasionally contributed anecdotes about Cobras. I found out that he was the automotive correspondent for Playboy magazine in downtown Chicago. I made an appointment, bought two copies of his book for my son and I and went down to meet him. Very interesting guy. He was off to Road America at the invitation of Porsche USA to drive the (then) new Panamerica. Nice life. I hope he makes some money from the movie. Book is a good read, too.

·
Registered
11,790 Posts
My sister already saw it at a film festival in The Hamptons.

It was of course a test-screening, but she absolutely loved it and you don't need to be a car person to enjoy it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm really looking forward to it. I hope that Ken Miles finally gets the recognition he is due.

·
Super Moderator
29,259 Posts
Yep, plan to see it

·
Actual builder now!
1,463 Posts
Cool. That was obviously from the Toronto International Film Festival. Now I really really want to see it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Looks like we get a great deal in Oz. Movie is released in a fortnight, right in the peak of our evening driving weather. A perfect combo!

Cheers Nigel in South Oz

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Early Viewing

My wife got us in to see the movie last Thursday. She is a member of the Guild.

We both thought the movie was great which surprised me since she’s not a fan of race movies. One thought I had. All I saw was Ken Miles, forgot it was an actor and I’m not a fan of Christian Bale. Great performance!! Not so much with with Matt Damon’s Shelby.

The racing scenes are awesome. I thought they could have done a bit more with some historical bits but overall a great movie. Well worth the big screen with big sound just remember it’s 2 1/2 hours.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
Just bought my tickets.

Advance tickets are on sale today at a local theater, and so far, my two tickets are the only ones sold, so maybe I will have a private showing ??

Check with Fandango to see if advance tickets are on sale in your area.

·
Premium Member
5,769 Posts
My wife got us in to see the movie last Thursday. She is a member of the Guild.

We both thought the movie was great which surprised me since she’s not a fan of race movies. One thought I had. All I saw was Ken Miles, forgot it was an actor and I’m not a fan of Christian Bale. Greatly performance!! Not so much with with Matt Damon’s Shelby.

The racing scenes are awesome. I thought they could have done a bit more with some historical bits but overall a great movie. Well worth the big screen with big sound just remember it’s 2 1/2 hours.
I'm glad your wife enjoyed it! I'm jealous you both got to see it early!!

I can understand Damon having a tough time suspending disbelief when it comes to portraying a well-known icon like Carroll Shelby. Ken Miles' personality is an unknown to almost all of us, he never reached Shelby's media status or longevity. I think they are both pretty solid actors, but many people will enter the theatre with some kind of pre-conceived notion about Shelby, who he was and what he did. Makes Damon's job quite a bit more difficult.

I'm stoked to see it in any case.

:lol:

Sean

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thumbs up!

Not going to spoil it for those that have not yet seen the movie so here goes.

On Friday our local Shelby club privately rented out the Angelika Film Center theater, with plush leather reclining seats, food as well as alcohol served it made for a very nice viewing experience.

The movie kept to the core of what the story line should be about as Damon and Bale pulled this one off and dare I say in a very believable fashion but it was the cars and driving scenes by themselves that made this movie worth watching. Very entertaining and what I was hoping for. :thumbup:

Yesterday afternoon we returned to the theater for a "Show & Shine" show in front of the theater, it turned out to be a great event with tons of movie goers and fans admiring our cars.

Saul

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Our club did an event at a local theater, Saturday,16th. They had a small car show area reserved. We brought 9 cobra's, only 3 Ferrari's showed. It was a good movie, really enjoyed it. I have to agree, Christian Bale's performance was great, all I saw was Ken Miles. When Damon was on screen, I saw Matt Damon, not Carol Shelby, and I usually like Damon.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
First time getting a Sr. Discount

Yea I'm 60 now so got 2 bucks off. Not sure of that is a good or bad thing but a milestone none the less. I saw it with Tina and my daughter and we all liked it a lot. They did a great job on it. I especially liked the music. Very well done. My first Aurora HO slot car set came with a GT40. I still have the body.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,697 Posts
Its on my list of must see's. Even my wife sounded interested after reading some critic's comments, and she is not a car person in any way, shape, or form.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Triangle Cobra Club should be doing a local get together for the movie next week end in Apex NC weather permitting.:smile2:

FWIW one of the two "hero" cars (Superformance) from the movie is coming up for auction through Mechem Dec 7th in Kansas City.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Seen it yesterday with my wife and 19 yo son. We loved the movie. While out shopping today, my son took one of his sisters to see it. He says he will go with his friends later this week. Glad to see the younger generation appreciating this movie.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts