Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Senior Charter Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to install my driveshaft. From what I have read and from a prior post there is an oil seal that is supposed to go on the end of the tail shaft

Auto part Tire Pipe Rim Wheel

However when I look at the tail shaft there is already some sort of seal/ring there. It does not have the rubber cover and with it in place I cannot place the other oil seal

Auto part Cylinder

Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Wheel Impact wrench

Do I remove this other ring? Do I forget about the oil seal?

Thanks
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

· Not a waxer
12,098 Posts
Your photo shows that there is an oil seal installed in the trans. The one that is loose is an OEM type. The "snout" on the OEM style one is to help keep grit and contaminants away from the actual lip seal deeper inside. You can run with the one that is already in place or remove it and install the other; either will work. FWIW, I'd simply use the one that's already installed and move on.

Jeff

· Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
Exactly. I sell both. If it was 4WD, I'd go with the snout type. In this chassis, the trans is up above the floor boards in a tunnel, and not likely to get much trash. Pre lube the driveshaft with a little Dexron and install it.

· Senior Charter Member
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Jeff and tirod,
Thanks for your quick reply! I was hoping that I could just keep the one that was already in place.
Joe

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.