Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Keeping with the theme of my PS pump cover ( It's a Cover Up!! ), I wanted to do something to hide the my coil since it didn't really fit in with my under hood theme. I think this works. It is just resting on top of the PS hose in these pics as I'm not sure about the location yet.

I still need to make 2 more stand-offs for mounting it.

What do you think?

Cheers, Rod

[ February 10, 2007, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: dv/dt ]

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Rod,

Looks awesome, but are you worried about heat build up?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
Ditto, coils generate a fair amount of heat. I louer it and/or consider a roomy housing. I know some companies make chrome plated coils (but I do not think they are high performance/high voltage ones.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
I dont have my camera to hand, but you can get some circular aluminum louvers from Lowes in 2" and 4" sizes. They are designed to go into roof soffits. They would be easy to fit and probably provide enough ventilation. Im going to put three 4" units into each side of my front splash panels to help cool the headers
Steve

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
26,021 Posts
If you are running an MSD box, don't worry about the coil heating up. It gets a 400V blast with very little sustained current (short duty cycle) unlike a points/coil setup which sees several amps for reletively long periods (dwell). The MSD driven coil does not store and release electrical energy by way of a collapsing magnetic filed like a conventional ignition. It only acts as a transformer multiplying the input voltage proportional to it's turns ratio.

I ran an MSD with that same coil on the bench for hours as a high voltage science experiment and the coil barely felt warm to the touch. The F-panel will introduce more heat to the coil by way of engine bay heating than the coil will produce.

BTW, nice fabrication work!

Greg

·
Junior Charter Member
791 Posts
I don't know about the collapsing magnetic field that GregM mentions, but if you mount it upside down won't all the electrons drip out?
Jon

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Rod - Nice job on the cover..

I wouldn't worry a lot about the heat. With the cover being mounted on aluminum stand-offs, you really made not only a cover but a great heat-sink!

·
8,269 Posts
I'm not sure that you will find it to be a problem but something else to watch out for is arcing from the coil terminal to the aluminum edge closest to it. With an ignition box and a high output coil you will be surprised at just how far it will arc. I had arcing from the coil post with a crane Hi6 box and Accel coil. It may not be a problem for you but keep an eye on the edge of your housing for signs of arcing.

·
Charter Member
1,777 Posts
Incredible Rod, I can not wait for teh snow to stop, the spring to arrive so I can come over and take a look.

Keep working!

Jim

·
Premium Member
6,654 Posts
Rod,

Beautiful!

You know, one day you're going to have to finally start that thing up!

R :D

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Rod:
Awesome fabrication work!
I have to agree with Randy, you now have a heat sink to dissipate what little heat the coil generates.
BTW I got the throttle plate yesterday,Thanks.
Paul M.

·
Junior Charter Member
710 Posts
Rod, once again, u amaze me!! Find an old stereo receiver an take the heat sink out of that. As always, another thing to do!!

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the comments guys!

Greg, Good to know the heat probably isn't an issue since I am running a cosmetically altered MSD 6AL.

Jon, LOL, now I'll have to add a drip tray.

Don, I wonder how a small computer fan would look? :D

Randy, The stand offs and the case itself should provide pretty good cooling I would think as well.

Mike, I've see others with similar cases so I think it will be OK as long as the plug wire bott is OK.

Jim, Looking forward to seeing the green machine!

Randy J, I got ya there buddy, some day!!

Paul, glad you got it and your welcome!

Stephen, That would be to easy so how about this:

So, does it look better with or without the cooling fins? Sounds like they aren't required so it comes down to looks.

Thanks again!!

Rod

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,740 Posts
The fins make it look more tech to me. W/o them, it just looks like a shield.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.