Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to start another build thread but this one has a little bit of a twist---first the car will be unbuilt!

Let's back up a little before we get started---"aaron44" and I have been best buddies for over 20 years. We've worked together (he was employed by my wife before I stole him to come work with me---something she still hasn't forgiven me for). We built my house together then a few years later did his. There have been more home, farm and car projects over the years than we can remember. I can't begin to tell you how many engines we've put into and pulled out of his Jeeps and anytime I needed a hand while building my car or "indy14" Steve's Mk4 he was right there when asked. He's had the FFR bug for a while and there has never been any question that when the time came for him to build one we'd do it together. He's been actively watching the classifieds for the last year or so waiting for the right deal to come along on an unstarted or barely started roadster (that Mike Everson doesn't grab first :)). A couple of months ago right before the summer sale ran out he was just about to give up on finding a previously started car and place an order for a Mk4 when a partially assembled Mk3 showed up and a deal was struck! It took about 4 weeks for the transportation to fall into place but a month ago it arrived from Texas!

We met the truck and got a first look as Aaron took the wheel to guide it down the ramps:

The previous owner put some junkyard wheels and tires on it so that it would roll but they leaked air almost as fast as we could put it in. By the time we made it the hundred yards from where the truck parked to Aaron's driveway we were spent and done pushing by hand---especially when viewing the looong uphill to the garage:

A Jeep and tow strap made short work of it though. I looked in the mirror while pulling him up the driveway and Aaron seemed to be totally enjoying his first cruise:

After languishing in Texas for a few years FFR #5717 rolls up to the garage in Indiana that it it will call home:

To be continued...

Jeff

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We had recieved photos from the original owner but were anxious to actually get a good look at the car "in the flesh".

In front are SN95 dogleg spindles with the SAI mod and two piston PBR calipers:

Notice that the FFR tubular lower control arms are mounted on the inner set of holes which are intended for donor SN95 LCAs. I've asked on the forum and no one knows of a reason to do this when using the tubulars and SAI mod. If anyone knows anything clue us in.

In back is a 3 link and discs:

Under the hood sits a vacuum brake booster and...a freshly built 408 Windsor!

Aaron has other powerplant plans so if anyone reading this is interested in purchasing this short block, which came with all of the reciepts, get in touch with him.

Over the next few days Aaron went through all of the boxes of parts taking inventory. Next we lifted off the body and put it outside on my buck. Before long it will make it's way to my house to start getting ready for paint. Withe the body off we could get a better look at the chassis:

One of the first things was removal of the rear end so that Aaron could cut off the quad shock brackets:

As long as it was out we decided to pull the axles and swap the calipers to the front location. We also determined that there were some issues with the lower control arm front mounts and addressed that before putting it back in:

We had to call in reinforcement to put the rear end back in---"indy14" Steve came over to help out!

The previous owner had run brake lines and bled the system. Although functionally they worked I just couldn't leave the brake lines as they were and remade them all the way back to the master.

Before:

After:

While I was doing that Aaron started drilling rivets and stripping aluminum. The previous owner did not use any silicone so it made disassembly a breeze:

Eventually when it starts going back together we'll bend up new panels to do the expanded passenger side footbox.

Moving to the front the non-upgraded Bilsteins came off and got sent for retrofitting. Aaron relocated the LCAs to the outer set of holes, pulled out the steering rack and shaft (switching to power), and removed the too short brake hoses:

More to come but I think that about does it for the deconstruction.

Jeff

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After taking what arrived as a steering and stopping roller with body and turning it back into a nearly bare chassis we felt like it was time to try to show some forward progress! We went to the local Mustang salvage guy and picked up a Fox fuel tank, cover and straps then mocked it into place. Once we had that as a reference for available space we made an under floor battery container using some steel strap and plate plus a plastic battery box left over from one of my builds:

Next we moved on to bend up a dropped trunk box:

With that done I left Aaron with a full page list of items to get ordered from Breeze and others. He's now up to speed on how to post photos so as things arrive and we move ahead with the build up he &/or I will add updates.

Until then:

:beerchug:

Jeff

·
Registered
689 Posts
Nice thread, I will be following closely

·
Registered
379 Posts
Congrats Aaron.
I met you in June in London. We talked Jeeps in the parking lot of the hotel.
You all are a great group of guys and happy for you to be joining the club.
Hope to see the completed car next year in Ohio. Or perhaps sooner. I'm always looking for an excuse to take mine on a road trip from Chicago. Maybe I can come see your progress firsthand this fall.

Craig

·
Premium Member
7,305 Posts
Congrats Aaron on finally getting the car up there and getting started! Hurry up, the Texas Cobra Meet is in a few short months!

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
When you mentioned the brake lines, I thought "How bad could they be?" WOW. I see why you changed them. Were they hand bent?

Nice upgrades.

That beer is on the upgade list, right?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Nice Job! Welcome to the madness Aaron :)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Inboard Control Arm Mounting Location

Jeff,

Check out my video about using the inboard mounting points. I'm using 17 x 9 fox mustang spec wheels, sames spindles and brakes and the spindle adapter from the SAI mod but with a unique inboard mounting position for the front UCA's. I could not be happier with the way the front suspension works and how the wheels/tires fit under the body.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Jeff,

Check out my video about using the inboard mounting points. I'm using 17 x 9 fox mustang spec wheels, sames spindles and brakes and the spindle adapter from the SAI mod but with a unique inboard mounting position for the front UCA's. I could not be happier with the way the front suspension works and how the wheels/tires fit under the body.]
Interesting, thanks for sharing Mark
Thierry

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,656 Posts
I am always impressed and truly inspired by your builds Jeff.

You also do a fantastic job of showing everyone pictures and explaining what you have done. Your contributions to this forum are invaluable.

Olli

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys!

Mark, Aaron and I will definitely check that out! I asked about that mounting point when the car first arrived but the concensus was to always use the outers, even with the SAI mod. Looks like they'll be going back...again! We were working on redoing or disassembling something the other day and I told Aaron that he needs to name the car "Mulligan" because of all the do-overs :)

Jeff

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick progress report; things are moving along but not all of it makes much of a showing or is very sexy. I was gone for a week but during that time Aaron cleaned, prepped and painted the fuel tank, cover and straps that he got from the local Mustang parts guy. He also called Mark at Breeze with a laundry list of parts, which are due to arrive this week AND treated himself to a couple of big new tool chests! :001_smile: I haven't seen them in person yet but I know it is going to cut down on the number of times "Hey Aaron, where do you keep your _______ (fill in the blank)?" will be heard in the garage! Probably won't stop the frequent question of "Hey Aaron, did you see where I left _____?" which is usually answered by "Uh...it's right there in your back pocket (or hand, or right in front of you)".

We had a couple of hours last Saturday before Aaron had to prepare himself for what he referred to as "The estrogen festival" (his daughter's volleyball team and all of the team moms were coming over for a cookout :eek:) so we worked on expanding the outside of the driver's footbox. We did this one a little different and just sliced the panel then bent up a couple of flanges to kind of wedge it outward. Remember, this is a Mk3; you can't do this with a Mk4:

Next up will be to push out the engine side panel then bend and position the clutch and brake pedals. We've been waiting for the Russ Thompson gas pedal to arrive before doing that. Passenger footbox is going to be expanded as well.

By the way, I mentioned earlier that the car arrived with a freshly built 408W short block. There are other powerplant plans for this car so it is for sale:

Aaron has all of the reciepts and details but from what I recall it has a balanced Scat rotating assembly, Probe pistons, Levy Stage 5 roller cam, Kevco pan, etc. If interested send one of us a PM.

More to come...

Jeff

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,974 Posts
Hey Jeff,

PM me with what he's asking for the 408. I just might need to upgrade my combo with something that makes more HP! :evil:

Scott

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I overlooked this post the other day, but will really enjoy following another JKleiner build! Aaron, you are in GREAT hands. Can't wait to see how this one turns out.

what are the build plans for this one?
:mf_popcorn:

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow, got way behind on the updates here so let’s get caught up!

A proper power steering shaft was acquired through the classifieds and installed:

The front braided hoses that the original owner had installed were not the correct ones for the calipers and were too short so Aaron ordered appropriate ones from Breeze. Problem was that the banjo bolts for the “wrong” hoses would not work with the new ones. Aaron eventually scrounged the right ones up locally but we should have just ordered them along with the hoses. Lesson learned---just get the stuff from Mark from the start and save the time and frustration. His products always fit and work together :thumbup1: After getting the brakes buttoned up we flushed the system with about 2 quarts of denatured alcohol to rid it of the silicone fluid the original builder had put in. We then followed up by sending another 2 quarts of DOT 3 through before giving it a final bleed.

Next up was more tin work...

Added a behind the seat cubby:

Enlarged the passenger side footbox:

Remade the engine side panel of the driver’s footbox but reversed the bend then added additional triangle bends a’la dv/dt to increase space around the gas pedal:

With both sides of the footbox modified it was time for Aaron to take a seat so we could work on placement of the Russ Thomson gas pedal and make the bends necessary to position the brake & clutch to best fit him. There was a fly in the ointment though…he had sold the classic roadster seats and his Kirkeys have not yet arrived so we had to resort to improvising with this ultra trick lowback bucket from Bed Bath and Beyond :lol:

After a couple rounds of removing and installing the pedals they were where he wanted them and got fitted with the RT pads. With the mods to both sides of the driver’s box it has pretty much maximized the space available in Mk3:

More to follow...

Jeff

·
Not a waxer
12,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After getting the pedals sorted and the aluminum work done we worked on the parking brake. Just like I did with my car we borrowed (OK to be honest I should say “blatantly stole”) dv/dt Rod’s method of mounting the Fox body handle on the tunnel by the driver. We shortened the handle by ~2” and disabled the tension spring so that it would be compatible with rear discs. I took measurements on my car and we bent up some brackets to replicate it here:

Afterwards we cut a set of SN95 brake cables to fit and installed them. Aaron worked on permanently installing all of the cockpit aluminum and with that we put a big red “DONE” stamp on chassis work for a while and moved on to the next phase…the power plant.

As I mentioned earlier Aaron does not plan to use the 408 short block that came with the car. Enter our good buddy Al. Aaron and I have known Al for almost 20 years, and during all of that time he has owned a silver 5.0 GT that he bought new. When he was single and kidless it was his only means of transportation. Even after the kids arrived it served as his daily driver for a few years but as they got bigger he had to move on to more mundane vehicles but still kept the Mustang around to take out for a weekend blast every now and then. One day last year he was passing by the ford dealer and just like 20 some years before drove out in a new silver 5.0 GT:

Al says he realized 2 things after getting the new Mustang; 1) “the ’91 doesn’t feel so fast anymore” and 2) ”since I’ve got something else to play with I can go all out on it now”. Sooooo… a deal was struck. Al gets the 408, Aaron gets the EFI 5.0 and new T5. I’m not exactly sure how it happened but somehow in all that it seems Jeff agreed to build both engines :001_rolleyes: With that all worked out Al brought the ’91 over to Aaron’s one Saturday last month and the three of us tore into it:

A new WCT5 was installed new just 5 or 6 thousand miles ago after Al scattered the original. Aaron got the honors of dragging it out:

A couple of hours later the 5.0 emerges from the engine bay for the first time since it was dropped in on the assembly line:

It served Al well for a lot of years and over 200,000 miles:

This thing has been well taken care of (but not babied ;)) all of it’s life and is amazingly clean for it’s age and miles:

I’m anxious to see what it looks like inside after tearing it down. That will be next installment. Meanwhile Aaron is having a bit of an early Christmas as goodies are starting to trickle in---he jumped on a bunch of stuff during FFR’s black Friday sale and also scored some customized gauges from Speedhut during theirs!

More later,
Jeff

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.