Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

3,596 Posts
I like powder coat myself...anodizing is nice,but scratches easily and can't really be touched up very well.
Sten

· Registered
196 Posts
anodizing vs powdercoating

My choice was powdercoating. Doesn't scratch as easy and it will give you a tighter fit on the panels due to the fact that it adds thickness. About 4 mil per panel. Every panel on our car is powder coated.

Bret Watkins

· Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
I've heard the Sharkhide is a simple solution, and easy to apply. To bad I can't find it in Canada..:sad:

A simple, although somewhat temporary solution, is just wiping some WD40 on your aluminum.

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Anodizing puts a dye into the porous surface of the aluminum. Colors are somewhat limited, and the look is very different It does not completly seal the surface, or harden the surface very much. It can be scratched, by scratching into the metal itself, but it will never crack or peel. It also does not change the external dimension of the metal.

PC is just that, a coating. Pretty much the opposite of anodizing.

· Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
In very basic terms, anodizing is more like staining, powder coating is more like painting.

I did some polished panels and used Sharkhide. Yes it is just a wipe on product. But, it is not super easy to make it come out nice. You basically get one or two swipes and it starts to flash. That is even with refridgerating over night. If you missed a spot and try to get it, you will be getting the laquer thinner out.

There is also clear powder coat if you don't want to change the color.

· Registered
789 Posts
Not a lot of the panels show when the car is finished. I went back and forth and ended up doing nothing. I put a self adhesive heat barrier on the footboxes, undercoated the panels under the car and in the wheel wells. After that only a couple of things are even showing. I knew if I PC I would scratch it installing engine parts, and I thought that would look worse! I recognize my weaknesses!

After 1k miles I can't believe how well the 3m undercoating is staying on. Tough stuff.

· Registered
193 Posts
I powder coated all of the panels, even though a lot of them will be covered or hidden. I just wanted the extra protection and preferred the consistency of one color throughout. Overkill? Probably. But, I found a coater with a large oven that could do all of them at once. Helped the cost some.
I used blue painter's tape to mask off areas I wanted to protect, like the engine bay. Areas that I knew would be covered with carpet, etc., I wasn't so careful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.