Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all of the great feedback on proper panel riveting and use of the Cleco here is the next one. I have always loved the look of anodizing. I am interested in getting all of the under hood pieces done. Not picked color yet but was wondering if it is a good move. Raw aluminum seems to dis-color if left untreated. Pros Cons or thoughts please.
A local anodizer estimates about $100 + - for the under hood pieces and foot boxes.

Henry

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
I had all of my aluminum powder coated and I couldn't be happier. I don't know what anodizing would look like.

Todd

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
25,964 Posts
That's a decent price. Hard coat anodizing is very durable. The dyes available will give you a nice veriety of colors to choose from.

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That powder coating looks great! What did that process set you back?

Henry

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
The foot boxes, firewall, and F panels cost $150. I then decided to do the remainder of the metal for another $300. If I did it all together it would have been cheaper. By the way I chose "silver vein" as the color.

Todd

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,696 Posts
And I think you can do clear annodizing if you want protection w/ the classic look.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,022 Posts
Several older threads that I've dug up in the past as I was pondering the same thing. I finally made the decision to do all panels in clear (Larry Johnson did this and really likes it). I want the long term corrosion protection that anodizing offers.

I'm in the "punch as many holes now as possible" stage as I'd already sharpied up my panels with lines, and I'm not going to clean them up twice.

Once that's done, and the panels fit relatively well, off they go to get done. I'll post on down the road with results at some point.

Good luck in your decision!

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Not to hi-jack the thread, but how easy is it to change the color of a part that's been anodized? Can it be re-anodized another color or will it need to be "stripped" somehow? Could the part be returned to a "raw" aluminum look easily?

My clutch adjuster is red, and just doesn't look right in the engine bay, where everything else is either Black, blue or silver.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
I have read one drawback from people that anodize. The finished product is really hard on drill bits. I don't know the particulars but anodizing changes the actual characteristic of the outer layer of metal. I think if you can fit, trim and drill as many holes as possible prior then you should be OK. Take good notes on what panel is over/under etc.

I'd like to see pics when you finish!

Mike M.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
I also anodized all the panels black @ $550.00 for all. I like the black with the rivets showing and mostly I did all of them because at the beginning of my build, I looked under two older cobras that the aluminum was in real bad shape. Bad enough that it needed to be replaced and if water ever gets inside the car it'll rot. Anodize will help alot for this. By the way, I drilled all the holes and prefit them before I anodized them.

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do. I plan to drill and fit everything (even more use for the Cleco temp rivets) then maybe using an engraver in fine writing noting the orientation and location of each panel somewhere where it wont show of course. Clear anodizing would retain the classic look for sure but the colors are fun. I will decide at the last minute I am sure.

Thanks

Henry

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Anodizing has a similar effect on aluminum as heat treating does on steel. Helps make it a little harder. It can still scratch if not carefull. Depending on color choosen,may not be as easy to touch up a scratch compared to powder coated panel.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,159 Posts
On mine, a black sharpie is amazing.

·
Junior Charter Member
84 Posts
Hank

Like Larry, I had all my aluminum clear anodized. The trunk still looks perfect and the whole thing has held up great, on the road since 1999 and driven a lot (commuting and sporting about). I had no trouble with drilling it, and anodizing is a great surface prep for any adhesive, like the RTV that you will be using. It looks like a nice silver aluminum surface. I'm very happy with this.

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Originally posted by Huckleberry5:
I have read one drawback from people that anodize. The finished product is really hard on drill bits. I don't know the particulars but anodizing changes the actual characteristic of the outer layer of metal. I think if you can fit, trim and drill as many holes as possible prior then you should be OK. Take good notes on what panel is over/under etc.

I'd like to see pics when you finish!

Mike M.
Anodization is aluminum oxide, the hardest of all the ceramic oxides. It's hardness runs from 1100 to 1400 Kg/mm^2 depending on how porus it is. As a reference, diamond coatings run from 1000-5000 Kg/mm^2.

You'll want to have most of your holes drilled before anodizing.

Mike

·
Registered
416 Posts
Around $100 seems very cheap for anodizing. Are you sure he wasn't talking about powdercoating? Generally it will cost 4X - 5X more than powdercoating because the materials are much more expensive.

If he is really anodizing the panels then that is a great deal. It will be much more durable than powdercoating, but as mentioned earlier, much harder to touch up if it does get scratched, depending on the color chosen.

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Michael Stora,

The reality is that the bits we used went right thru, no problems after anodizing.

The great thing about extra-hard surface is that the panels behind the tires stay really nice and clean right up. Rocks do not chip the surface.

Larry

·
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
$100 was an estimate for the square footage of just the underhood stuff. But the more I think I need to do it all for protection of the metal. The place is a high volume production house and does not seem to mind a private car builder sliding in. When I drop off all the metal I will give you the final cost in a couple weeks.

Henry

·
Senior Charter Member
1,022 Posts
Larry's and Cliff's stories of drilling matches my cousin's experiences (he builds race cars, ex nascar nw tour driver, etc). He said he never had a problem drilling after anodizing.

Like I said previously, I am pre drilling as much as possible more because it's marked now, and I won't have to do it twice. But, there will be some that won't get drilled until after anodizing.

Larry's and my cousin's experiences have quelled my concerns about drilling afterwards.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts