Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I get all of the parts I need from the donor. I will be left with a body and frame sitting on jack stands. How in the world do I get it out of my garage??

Any tips & advice would be great!

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Sawzall email hoofa!! Some auto recyclers will take them evidentally the doors and some other bits are of value as is the scrap metal. I always steal every bolt and fastener that i can reach as well as any brackets ,because you never know!! Bob

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I had 4 round (~6" dia.) posts that were each about 4-5' long. I lowered the chassis onto them and rolled it out. When the one furtherest back was out from under the car, I brought it around to the other end and contined. I left it on the posts as the scrap truck hauled it onto the bed of the truck. It was very easy.

Here are a couple of pics...

-Jon A.

PS

Looking at the first picture, I can see that I left my EEC bracket on the chassis... DOH!! I was wondering if I lost it or forgot it. Fortuneatley Dorfus sent me one... thanks Mark. Don't fortget to pick the carcass clean!!

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
I rolled mine out to the viewing area before I pulled the suspension. Transportation to final interment will be made easier VIA sawzall.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,053 Posts
Rolled mine on fence post.. The body was good,
so I was able to sell it along with the perfect
interior for around $400..

·
It's a car!
173 Posts
I actually put the rear end back in temporarily. Just LCAs & springs, four bolts with finger tight nuts total. Very easy. For the front, I built a dolly with 2x6s & $3.00 Harbor Freight pnuenatic wheels.

Later, I converted the dolly to hold the FFR chassis during assy. In fact, I miss the nice tall work height.

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
Surprsingly I sold mine for $100 to a kid making a track car from the ground up. Craigslist is your friend!!!!

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
Gave mine to a drag racer.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I stripped a 84 Lincoln Mark VII in my one car garage and the tow truck driver with a drop bed similar to the one above, was able to slide the bed right into my garage and under the Lincoln. He got it to about the doors, picked the Lincoln off the ground and then winched it up the rest of the way onto the bed, then pulled the bed back onto the truck, car and all. No marks on the floor nothing. I had the car sitting on a couple of 4x4’s.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
The SawZall worked for me. In my area I would have had to pay someone $50 to pick up the hulk. As it was, I could give it away if I got it there.

It didn't work out for me, but try to find a body shop school that might want it for student work.

·
Senior Charter Member
607 Posts
I screwed some cheap casters to some low points on the frame and pushed it out into the driveway were I had some charity (karsforkids.com) come and take it away.

·
Junior Charter Member
626 Posts
I had an engine hoist on one end and the tractor (with loader) on the other. Dragged it out, set it down, and pushed it onto the trailer. Off to recycling it went and I got paid for the scrap. Do you know anyone with a large tractor? Or better yet, a Skytrak or similar? Even without the drivetrain mine weighed-in near a ton. You could skid it onto a trailer with a winch if you have one available.

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Same as Rick here,
cut it up with an angle grinder and about 40 cut off wheels. I was in a hurry to get rid of it since my kit was coming and no time to look around on how to get rid of it.

·
Junior Charter Member
89 Posts
Mine was reduced to scrap in about three hours using a sawzall a 7" angle grinder with about a dozen wheels and 2 friends a case of beer three pair of gloves and safety goggles. It will all fit in a full size pickup when properly dissected! Tossed in the metal bin to be recycled. Incidently I highly recommend chopping the top off before disassembly. I also cut everything away from the motor and just lifted it right out.
scot

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Sold my body (what was left of it) to a racer for $400. It was on jackstands. He backed a flatbed trailer up to it and I raised the end with my engine hoist. He the backed the trailer under the body about half way. We pushed it the rest of the way onto the trailer by hand. Pete

·
Senior Charter Member
1,022 Posts
I used two 1.25" square tubes and 4 inexpensive (Harbor Freight) castor wheels. Tack welded the tubes to the underside of the car frame just behind the wheel well openings in front, and just in front of the wheel well openings in back. Tack welded the castors to the square tubing.

I actually rolled it around quite a bit on those, in and out of the garage several times, then onto my flatbed car trailer. Put it back up on blocks and took the tubes and wheels off before hauling off to the scrap metal salvager.

All disclaimers apply, BE SAFE. I was never in a position to get crushed if anything failed.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,151 Posts
Gave Mine to a scrap Guy. They dragged it onto the trailer with a cable winch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I also gave mine to a scrap yard. If you put a large piece of cardboard under the body, it will easily slide (winched) onto a flat bed tow truck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts