Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read references to using teflon tape??
For the fitting do I just tighten them? or do they really need/use teflon tape?
Also I've read alot of threads on leaking AN fittings. Any trade secrets I should know before I start?
Thanks,
Todd

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,297 Posts
NO teflon tape. Lubricate the threads with a little motor oil or assembly lube. They are a tapered fitting and will seal up just fine.

If it is a pipe thread on one end use some Permatex thread sealant on pipe threads.

Mike O.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
AN tapered fittings do not use any kind of sealant. If you have a leaky fitting, you can find some soft copper tapered washers that are made to seal that surface.

I use anti-seize lube on the threads.

Pipe threads always (in my garage) get a little dab of teflon paste. Never tape.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Here's a link to the XRP catalog in .pdf format. It has hints and installation procedures for A/N Hose and fittings. BTW, I've always used teflon tape on the pipe thread end of the A/N adapters without any ill effects. The secret is to always leave the first two threads uncovered on the adapter. That way no teflon can come loose to clog anything.
http://www.xrp.com/XRPCatalog.pdf

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Also I've read alot of threads on leaking AN fittings. Any trade secrets I should know before I start?
Use some type of thread sealer on the pipe thread ends on AN fittings. My personal number one rule is "Only use Aeroquip hose and fittings". Saving a few bucks on the "almost Aeroquip" brands isn't worth it. I recently ordered Aeroquip stuff from Indianapolis instead of using the stuff Jegs sells 5 miles from my house.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
Oh yeah, Paul, that's a good point. ALWAYS use the same brand of hoses and fittings. Don't mix and match. Sometimes you'll do OK. But sometimes things just won't fit right.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Originally posted by Todd D:
Got to love the forum, I got Teflon tape, teflon paste, Permatex, Copper washer, Nothing at all.
Wish me luck. Were do I get teflon paste of Permatex?
It's really quite simple Todd - All people are telling you basically the same thing;
There has got to be some sort of sealant on "Pipe Threads" - those are the tapered threads that would go into a block or manifold or...

On the AN Fitting itself, use a lubricant. I use just a little motor oil or a dab of grease. This is to keep the threads from galling.

I also use only Aeroquip AN fittings as they are consistenly higher quality than any of the others. If you look in any aircraft you'll not find a single Russell, XRP, Earls, Summit, Brand-x fitting. You'll find Aeroquip.

edit - Oh yes, you can pick up Permatex products at your local NAPA or other fine autoparts stores. Teflon thread tape and Teflon thread past can be purchased at your local home improvement store in the plumbing department.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.