Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my emobiliser (alarm-device), probably because it can´t deliver the amount of power to the fuel-pump.

- Exactly, how many amps is my Ford Racing 190lph pump using at 12V??

- I´m placing a main fuse, right after the positive terminal on the battery. How many amps should the main fuse be? 70? How much does the starter-motor need?!

Thanks again...
Peter

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is there anyone that knows this?
How many amps does the FFR with my setup below, use when I start it up?
Thanks,
Peter

·
6,546 Posts
A regular automotive grade relay will work for the fuel pump. I'd use a Bosch or Hella relay, not a "radio shack" one.

The starter can easily pull upwards of 500A in a spike, so it could be difficult to put an inline fuse system in that will work.

My SBF smoked a 250A fuse, first turn of the key.

I could be totally wrong, but most cars don't have a fuse inline between the starter and the battery.

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of many amps and after a little thinking, I realize that a battery with 60h won´t last very long when trying to start the engine = the starter-motor uses alot of power. I didn´t know that it was that much though.....
I´ll skip the fuse for now.
Thanks,
Peter

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
Fuel Pump: 20A circuit should be plenty to account for occasional spikes. Use a relay and a circuit breaker, not a fuse. My A1000 pumps needs a 40A circuit.

Main Fuse: Not a good idea. You'll need a huge circuit breaker. A starter can easily draw 500-600 amps, depending on conditions. Notice that no manufacturer (that I know of) has placed a breaker there.

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oki, thanks alot for the info. I thought a fuse here would be a good idea to prevent fire in the harness between the battery and the switch(I´ve got mine in the front, underneath the dash) if there´s an accident or similar.
I realize now that it´s impossible and probably not necessary.
Thanks,
Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts