Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to get to 2nd ASAP, so I short shift. But I do light them up until I get there. You can definitely see when I hit 2nd. I pretty much can't help myself. But, am I loosing time? I am running Khumo Ecsta XS that are down to the indicators (10k miles). I have a 500HP 347 TKO600 road race and 3.31 gears. Critique the launch please. It is hard to tell much else from an off-course video, but all advise is welcome.

Also, what you guys replacing Khumos with for street / autocross, since they no longer make 315s? I am thinking Nitto NT05s. I want as sticky as I can get on a tire that I can run on the street for about 10k miles. I don't have a tow vehicle. As much as I would love to try A7s, it is not happening.....this year.

My VPM sway bars are on the way too, and I just put Flowmasters on. So this is the last of my loud runs.

https://youtu.be/o_Qwhu9Ma0o

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
That is about what I look like, I shift right after my tires light up. On a 42 sec course I dont think the launch is going to matter much. Try different starts see if time changes.

I dump clutch and do most spinning before start beam, keep car straight then into 2nd just past beam no more tire spin. If you really want to have fun and dont care about PAX get A7's. I put the rear tires on to drive to event (up to 100 miles), one front on p/s seat the other tied to roll bar.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I launched in second for a while but i feel like it is slower than spinning a little in first and a short shift to second. A slower roll into the throttle in second will reduce fish tailing. on some courses you can shift earlier or later in order to have the car pointed straighter when get in the throttle in second.

Hoosiers are the way to go if you want to stay in XP. If you want to stay in street tires consider a move to CAM-S. That is what I run. The CAM classes require a 200 tread wear tire. The NT05 is the only 200 tread wear tire I can find in a 315 17. I've been pretty happy with them.

·
Not a waxer
11,593 Posts
I do not dump the clutch but instead get moving and then roll into it (OK, not every time--- every so often just for giggles I'll do a John Force burnout but it costs time :)). Most courses I can do this and run first all the way out before hitting second but sometimes if there is an early hard turn I'll have to short shift. The only video I have is from in the car but you can see the tach and maybe get the idea of how it goes. There are 5 or 6 starts on this video:

I run a couple sets of XS for 3 or 4 seasons (never saw 10K miles though; more like 6-7,000) and have been running Nitto NT-01 for the last 3 seasons. They're totally used up by 5,000 miles. I'll be going with a fresh set of the same this year.

RE: CAM-S; unless you have one that is especially heavy our cars don't make the minimum weight without about 150 pounds of ballast.

Jeff

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,281 Posts
I launch a lot softer than you. I feel like, if I spin the tires, I messed up. I have wondered at times if I should so a big burn out at the launch but before I hit the light to get the rear tires warmed up, but am afraid I will have sticky rears and cold fronts which won't work well at the first turn. On the course in your vid that might work because the first turns are a slalom and some understeer will usually help in slaloms. The launch has been a big frustration to me for years even on new A7s for the last three seasons. Never came up w/ a combination of spring or shock setting that would allow a hard launch. I will see how the 2015 IRS is in April.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried a 2nd gear launch on a test and tune day and felt like it left something on the table. I am coming off of the clutch fast, but not really dumping it. I might play with going a little softer on a later run and see if I get a time difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts