Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys..

Just installed the MSD, reset the distributor position and set the timing. Brought it up to 14-16 degrees BTDC and it's running VERY nicely.

However, I was hoping to use the MSD to be able to get a tach signal... and it's not working. I'm getting SOME sort of signal, the gauge (Stewart Warner) moves when I rev it, but it is indicating 3k RPM at idle. I have the tach set up correctly for 8cyl operation. We are running everything stock 5.0 ignition, except, of course, the MSD 6AL.

Sadly, the SW instructions for wiring up to a MSD box use the Mag Pickup wiring (that is not used on 5.0 setups). Anyone have ideas about where I can pull a tach signal out? Or am I going to have to buy a tach signal adapter for the MSD - SW Tach?

Thanks in advance,

Will

[ July 02, 2005, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: willspeed ]

·
Supermoderator
12,393 Posts
Are you using the tach output terminal on the side of the MSD? If so, and the tach doesn't work, you might need the 8910 or 8920 adapter. See page 7 of the instruction manual.

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe,

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'm also thinking if there is another place where I can pirate the signal and not use the MSD tach out.

Anyone have ideas on this?

Will

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Will,
I think you are stuck with the MSD converter and unfortunately, it is the more expensive one!

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I didn't have an MSD, where would I normally get a tach signal? I've got a Chilton's diagram here showing that out of the TFI module connector there is a tach signal (coil -). Shouldn't I be able to tap into this (before it goes into the MSD box)?

Thanks for all your answers.

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I tried it again, and it's working! However, it is so s l o w that it's not responding quickly to changes in RPM, like it was damped. Anyone have experience with Stewart Warner electronic tachs? There is some sort of adjustment next to the dip switches that select the number of cylinders.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts