Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a foot box mod on the passenger side and was wondering what the thickness of the aluminum is. I need a couple of sheets (depending on what sizes it comes in) to make replacement panels for the top and front of the foot box. Thanks in advance.
Lile

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
The standard thickness of the footbox aluminium is 0.040 inch.
Best regards,
Chuck

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chuck

·
Junior Charter Member
1,637 Posts
If you can, up the thickness of the foot box floor pannels to at least 0.060 as I did but 0.80 would be better.
Tim

·
Junior Charter Member
1,637 Posts
Make that 0.080
Tim

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
2,811 Posts
0661 is also way up in price right now. 5051 at 0.060 was less than half the 6061 0.040. Has to do with the heat treating of the 6061.

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I priced the 6061 and the 5051 today, I can get a sheet of 5051 48"x96" for 51.00, and the 6061 48"x144" was a wopping 349.00. I couldn't believe the price differance. I think for what I'm using it for I'll use the 5051. Thanks for all the input on this.
Lile

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
try aircraft spuce...great prices for local pick up, i don't think shipping is cheap on sheet, but they cut it to all sizes....i'm not familiar w/5051 but could check the specs...it could be a RoHS thing 6061 is compliant and people are scramblin'...suppy and demand

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
Originally posted by russ thompson:
If you go up in thickness just remember that that if you use 6061 aluminum like the rest of the panels it's harder to bend and if the radius is to tight it will crack if yor not carefull
to follow up on russ...if you go thicker you can go to an aluminum w/ a higher elongation to break, 6061 is 12%..2011 is 18%, and 2017 is like 20% (easier to bend w/o cracks)...and to further, the temper number is in reference to the way it was aged, not so much a rate of temper

funny as i think about it, to go with a softer aluninum defeats the saftey aspect of the thicker panels

·
FFCobra Fanatic
985 Posts
4x10 sheet of 16 ga. 6061 was $200 recently. I think that may have been cost. more than enough for 2 footbox mod per Cheapsk8s templates. Shared the sheet with another member. Definetly need a brake to bend as it's tough stuff. .060 is plenty strong for sides and top. Heavier might be nicer for the floor.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
Or you could save a lot of money and effort and just buy FFmetal's stuff. His firewall and dropped footbox floors are .090 thick. Real quality stuff! The rest of the aluminum is exactly the same thickness and grade as the FFR stuff.

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought about FFMetals kit, but his footbox kit only makes the footbox 1" wider, I didn't make the footbox any deeper, but I did make it 4 1/2" wider. Where the original footbox met the 4" round tube I bent that panel so it follows along the 4" tube, and I will cut new top and front panels, I made the floor out of some thicker material for safety reasons.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.