Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 345HP 302 crate motor with aluminum heads. I will be installing the FFR 4 into 4 headers and am paranoid about screwing up the threads.

I know that the max torque for exhaust and intake bolts on these heads is 18ft/lbs but obviously can't get a torque wrench on the bolt to know the amount.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Would you use anything to prevent galling?

Thanks
Mark

·
NOT a self proclaimed Craftsman
1,189 Posts
I cannot advise on what tool to use since I haven't gotten that far yet. As for preventing galling, I use Copaslip. If it's good enough for Champcar exhaust it is good enough for this. But since 'slip may be difficult to find, use Permatex or Loctite brand copper or nickel anti-seize.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Use a set of Grade8 bolts, with a 6 sided bolt head. The 6 sided head will allow you to use an open end wrench in tight confines. They come with a spring washer that when compressed will supply the exact amount of torque needed for gasket retention.

I use a copper based high temp anti-seize lube to prevent galling and seizure. Same for the spark plugs.

·
Charter Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bob sounds like good advice.

Mike, the 4 into 4 headers are built in such a way that the tubes are right next to the header bolts. Only an open end wrench can actually do the trick.

I saw the post for allen heads but either way you are guessing at the amount of torque applied.

I will use a torque wrench to tighten some other bolt to 16ft/lbs and then use the open end wrench on it so I have an idea of how it feels.

Mark

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Using a torque wrench on header bolts is a bit much. Good luck even getting one in there. Use anti-sieze, snug 'em (18ft lbs is 'snug' BTW
) and then after a heat cycle do it again.

I like the combo hex/allen wrench bolts myself.

·
18,090 Posts
I use antiseize and a 6" long 7/16" combination wrench. I also like to use star washers on the header bolts. Tighten as tight as you can get them by hand - you won't exceed 18 ft #'s unless you're Magilla Gorilla and are using a cheater pipe.
Check the bolts after the first 4-5 heat cycles and you'll find that they will eventually stay tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts