Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to go with aluminum lines with the compression to AN fittings for my fuel lines (efi). Is there a problem with running a 3/8" line for the supply and a 3/8" for the return? This is the smallest (commonly) available line I can find. Should I run 1/2" for the supply???? It seems AWFULLY large! Thanks.

Michael~ :cool:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
690 Posts
Are you absolutely sure you want to use aluminium? I got some steel weld on AN fittings for the steel fuel line, (from Pegasus Racing)and used 1/2", -8AN steel fuel line for supply, 3/8, -6AN for the return., then I gave it all away and ran braided steel.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
A 3/8" line can flow quite a bit of fuel for most needs, I've seen them handle up to 550rwhp. To be on the safe side though -8 with a -6 works great, currently I'm using -10 supply with a -8 return both hard and braided lines for both.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I used the 1/2 in. on my supergas car and it smashes very easy. I now have braided. Don ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts
The adapters come from Pure Choice and are about $60 with shipping for a pair.Don ;)

·
FFCobra Fanatic
717 Posts
We've been using 3/8's aluminum on our cars for years and never have had a problem. We DO securely attach it about every 12"s or so.

DV
The lousiest exscuse to do something is, "We've been doing it this way for ten years! But, in this case I have found no problems.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
949 Posts
I have 3/8" aluminum lines on my car for 4 yrs and done as much wrenching on it as anyone with no problems. If you're planing on forced induction with monster injectors I'd consider going larger.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Mike,

How much power do you plan on making? If you were going the carb route (which you obviously aren't), then you might want to consider 1/2" supply for anything over ~425 fwhp.

Since you're running higher pressure with the EFI, 3/8" tubing and the stock fuel rails should be fine for upwards of 450 rwhp. However, the stock fuel rails should probably be upgraded beyond that. To really tell you more, we need to know more about your motor combo. Are you running N/A or forced induction? Stock fuel pressures?

In short, if you're targeting less than 450 rwhp, your 3/8" fuel line is fine. More than that and the question is no longer an easy yes or no. At that point a proper EFI fuel system becomes more complicated (and expensive
). Here's an example of what's commonly done on high hp EFI fuel systems:
http://www.boostedfoxbody.com/images/fuel_sys.gif

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts