Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PA-Perfomance 3G alternator with their wiring harness. Bacically it is two wire. It needs an exciter wire that is on with the ignition and a fusable link to the B+ side of the starter relay.

I am using the AAW fusable link and the brown alternator ignition wire to power the PA-Performance harness.

I am not using any indicator lights but the alternator is definitely not charging.

Any ideas?

thanks

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Do you have power on the exciter wire?
Is the alternator/brackets/bracket mounting area on engine painted or powder coated? The alternator is like any electrical component in that it needs a circuit consisting of power and ground in order to function. The housing of the alternator must have continuity to chassis ground or the alternator will not work. Neither powder coat nor paint qualifies as a conductor.

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is powder coated.

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the key on, but not started, should the brown AAW exciter wire be hot?

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not have a lamp on it. I thought it was not needed because the harness I bought has a resister built in were the exciter wire connects to the harness.

I did not put fuses in all the spaces of the AAW fuse box. For example I did not insert a fuse for heat, air, radio, wipers ect.... I wonder if the exciter wire gets power from one of those fuses.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
How are you checking for power; with a meter or with a test light. With a resistor on the wire the test light may not get enough current to illuminate.

·
Charter Member
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was checking with a test light. I filled up the fuse box and it started charging. Pulled the fuses and it is still charging. I think the OEM connector may not have been snug.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Glad you got it charging.Must have had a bad connection.
P.S. Something looks familiar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts