Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Supreme Cobra Commander
9,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went to purchase an alternator for the Cobra. There is a local guy whose been in business forever and I almost always get my stuff from him. He has the GM alternator setup for one wire hookup for about $70 and a Hi-torque starter for about $100.
It looks good and he says he gets good service out of them.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Word to the wise...

The FFR cooling fans on my Coupe draw a lot of amps.

If your drawing (for example) 60 Amps with your fuel pump (10 amps), ignition (8 amps), and a fan(s)(38 amps) while the car is idling at a stop light, your alternator needs to provide this amount at idle. This does not include draw from your headlights, fog lights, heater/AC fan, wipers, radio, and other accessories you install. If your alternator cannot provide that many amps then the battery will supply the current flow. The problem with that, is that you will draw your battery down and may not be able to restart, after you shut your car off.
Most alternators are rated at 2000 engine RPM, not Idle (50 Amps at 2000 RPM). You need to find an alternator that can provide :eek: 100 amps at idle.

My Coupe was pulling :eek: 94 amps with everything running and there was no way my alternator could keep up with that draw. My battery was always dead and my lights ran dim.

My local alternator guy recommended Wrangler Northwest (503) 235-4110. Keep this number and understand that this a custom built alternator that is built to your specs, so it will cost you more than $70.00. Mine was about $350.00, but worth every penny.

Now my charging issues are very well solved and I am nolonger stranded with my beautiful car that wont run.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts