Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,
Has anyone here ever used these retractable seat belts from www.schroth.com or http://soloracer.com/rallye3.html ?

I like the retractable feature so I can move around in the car. I will not be taking it to the track (who knows, maybe at some point). Also much easier to click together, no latches.

$229

if not, how obout a single mount type, like these? Same mounting style, same click style.

$149

I know that also these exist and can be mounted like the ffr supplied ones with click latch but I am realy interested in the retracting option.

$154
I have a roadster MKIII and it has 2 mounting points and using street performer seats. Can these be mounted on the outside or inside mount only?
If not, where and how?
Thanx in advance and any alternate seat belt options are appreciated.

·
Junior Charter Member
77 Posts
1. 3 point harnesses have been banned from almost every US racing organization. There is a reason.

2. If you do go this route, I believe the last spec I remember was mounting the upper belt 3" below neck level (been years since anyone I know has used a 3 point). Any lower can result in spinal compression in a collision. Disregard if you are using a steel framed racing seat. You can mount lower.

3. Answer this question. If you knew that exactly one year from today, you would be in a serious wreck what equipment would you use? A 3 point set up that has been banned for safety reasons? Or the perfectly good 4 point set up that comes from factory 5.

4. I don't understand the need to move around in the car. Have you made additions or modifications to the build? I haven't ordered my car yet is why I ask. Is there a bad design to these cars that doesn't let the driver access all controls from the drivers seat?

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jowlz,
Well, the big problem that I have with the FFR supplied belt, (I have not installed them nor the seats yet so I am not sure on this) is that you can not move around at all. You are mostly stuck in the position dictated by the belts. In my daily driver it realy anoys me when the belt locks when I accelerate fast or stop quick and I need to look over my shoulder for a turn or whatever. I am still at the beggining stages of my build, just trying to locate a better alternative. Plus it takes a while to put the ffr belt together with the clips.
Also the handbrake in its factory position is hard to get to with belts on (unless one has long arms). Again if used for mostly track, use 4 point, for street 3 point I guess is ok, not as safe but better than production car belts.
Pretty much trying to build a safe car that I will not mind getting in to and driving every day.

·
Junior Charter Member
918 Posts
Cobrathegreat1, what kind of seats do you have? The street performance or the org style? If you have the street performance ones, then it really doesn't matter which belt you have. You're pretty much stuck in your seat. I would assume that is the whole point of the performance seats, keeps you from moving side to side. But if you have the org style seats, then I could understand the 3 points or even the 2" belts. Those 3" belts gets heavy after having it for awhile.

That is just my opinion.

-China

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
cobrathegreat:

Schroth has done a great job in the last few years building harness systems that are safe and actually street legal. As far as I know they're the ONLY manufacturer still who makes DOT-legal 4 or 5 point harnesses.

For a street driver, look at their harnesses with ASM and a push-button cam lock -- the former makes it safe to use without a substrap holding the belt down, and the latter is mandatory to be truly street legal.

The retractable ones look interesting, but to be honest, I don't see how they'd work in the Cobra because of how the belts have to mount.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,218 Posts
I like my 4 point harness. Yes you are stuck in and it takes a little longer to strap on but you are driving a race car that just happens to be legal to drive on the street. It makes you part of the car and actually it isn't like you have a whole mess of places you can go and move around in the cockpit. Yes I will agree the E-Brake is impossible to reach belted but you remember to release before you strap in or apply before exit. Otherwise it will give the co-pilot something to do.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
George wrote:
Schroth has done a great job in the last few years building harness systems that are safe and actually street legal. As far as I know they're the ONLY manufacturer still who makes DOT-legal 4 or 5 point harnesses.

For a street driver, look at their harnesses with ASM and a push-button cam lock -- the former makes it safe to use without a substrap holding the belt down, and the latter is mandatory to be truly street legal.
I have the Schroth belts you mentioned. They are very high quality and DOT legal

Bill

·
The Greek
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ttt

·
7,134 Posts
Can also use Pyrotect, much cheaper than you are showing and have a camlock, like aircraft.

Of course even Simpson have Camlocks too.

This allows you to lock each belt in the center individually and undo with one twist motion.

Easier to use than the std latch links we have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts