Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
THRAMP-master
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine wants to build an FFR coupe. Having a tough time finding an inexpensive donor, so we're looking into alternates.

1) Would a '87 Capri work? As far as I know, they are mechanically the same as a Mustang. (Realizing that the '87 will have speed/density EFI.)

2) Since he wants IRS, and has a line on a Tremec trans, how about a Thunderbird donor? It would have the IRS and 5-lug hubs, probably bigger brakes? Off the bat, I see some (possible) differences: gas tank? pedal box? steering rack? front lower control arms? Aside from having to get those Mustang pieces, would it work?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
767 Posts
They had a Capri in '87?

The T-Bird SuperCoupe is a totally different platform than the Mustangs. (The 88 and below t-birds share the platform)

Pretty much only the rear suspension would work. And yes it's 5 lug, but it's 5x5.25, not the normal 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

-steve in nj-

·
Registered
75 Posts
the last year for the capri was 86. you could use it as a doner, but the value of the finished product should make you shy away from that idea. your friend can pick up a good 87-93 driver/doner for 2000.00 to 3500,00. tell him to save a little more. he will get MUCH more for the car when and if he sells it if he does.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts