Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been injected for too long and forgotten my roots. I need advice from Potato Heads on which intake and carb to use:

Application - '67 cougar, 289, C6 auto (yes - really), 3.25:1 rear end. '88 5.0L heads with good springs and air pump boss ground out of exhaust port, long tube headers, daily driver type with some fun. 9.2:1 CR. Roller cam - 0.533", 215 degrees (at 0.050).

Intake choices: Offenhauser 360 degree single plane intake, or early 70's Ford "off-roads parts" (i.e. their old X- part numbers) dual plane.

Carb: Holley 1850 600 CFM vacuum OR Edelbrock 1404 (old Carter design) 500 CFM.

Advice appreciated.

Inman

·
6,546 Posts
The dual plane and the vacuum secondary setup would make a more streetable setup.

An Edelbrock RPM intake would be great on the motor too.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
458 Posts
Inman,

I think the 289 runs pretty well with about a 600-650 potato. I would probably opt. for the dual plane manifold, especially with that tall cam, it well help you on the low end and hurt just a little on top but, you won't be able to tell the differnce at the top.

What a lot of fellow potatoheads are using is the Performer RPM and a Holley 650 on the 302 with good results.

Good Luck!

"Mr. Potato Head"

·
Premium Member
18,086 Posts
Definatly use a dual plane manifold with a vacume secondary carb. If you do the math, you'll find that the 600 cfm carb is probably a little much for a 289 street car. If the Edelbrock is a vacume secondary, go with that. You'll lose a little top end power with that combination, but you'll gain throttle response. And the improved vacume signal will help the auto to shift better.

On a side note, you might want to consider dumping that C6 for a C4. The C6 is big and heavy and takes a lot of power to turn. Your 289 will never make enough power to lunch a C4. You can sell the C6 to someone who really needs it and come out even (or better).

Of course, there's always the AOD.........

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm using a Wiend Stealth w/1in spacer. A four hole spacer either 1 or 2 inch will help with low end power. The RPM Air Gap is an excellent choice also, although a little more money. What's your stall at?? If it's stock then I would skip the single plane. If you want 1/4 mile times then single with high stall. Normal driving you won't like the single plane.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Micheal, if you're a Ford fanatic, you'd know the C6 must be off the 351W towing package motors, circa '73. The stall was a little higher than stock because of that (maybe 200-300 RPM higher). At one time when I dropped that tranny in, I was going to put a turbo on it, hence the C6. Of course, blowers are plentiful nowadays and I do have forged pistons....

·
Registered
182 Posts
Inman, When my cousin drag races his car dosen't move til the engine gets up to 1500 and I'm guessing his tranny dosen't lock up til 2500 or even higher. remember there not making real power until 5,6 thousand rpm. That's were single planes love to run. Street driving with a lite car why would you want an elevated stall and single plane. your drivability will suffer. I stick with above post and no I'm not a ford fanatic. That's why I built my own car, It's how I want it. Good Luck with yours

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry Michael - I wasn't trying to dis you. I realize in reading now that it came out in a condescending manner - OOPS! Thanks for the advice - I was leaning towards dual-plane, but I don't have much experience with single and it's good to sound off you gents with the experience.

·
Premium Member
5,210 Posts
As Mr. Potato Head says...

I'm running an Edelbrock Performer RPM and Holley 670 Street avenger on a 302. The Edelbrock and Holley 600 cfm Carb will probably give better mileage than the holley double pumper. The Edelbrock and Holley 1850 may cause problems under high speed turns as the fuel inlet on these carbs is to the side. But, for normal use this should not be a concern.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.