Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Charter Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making final payment on my kit on Monday and i'm trying to finalize my order. I am currently ordering the Autometer Traditional Gauges however all this talk of needles falling off, tapping the covers to get them to work has me wondering if i should cancel those gauges and find some somwhere else. I did a archive search and found alot of negative comments toward them.

I like the classic look and i am running a 4.6L engine, is there another route you guys can recommend?
I also like the reverse speedo however i dont want to spend 400.+ for the electric to manual converter. Is there another way?

Thanks in advance,
Carl

·
Super Moderator
29,362 Posts
Classic Gauges makes Cobra vintage gauges and their quality is incredible. I am using their Hot Rod series gauges on my GT40 build

·
3,798 Posts
All manufacturers have a percentage of defects. This is a forum where thoughts and problems can be discussed openly. Hearing about some defects in a particular brand of product is going to happen, but when you look at the big picture it is probably a very small percentage. At any gathering of car guy's you can hear of problems with any product from carburators to gas. I have had no problem with Autometer products in any of my cars. THat being said, take a look at all suggestions and pick the one that will work the best for you.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,170 Posts
I have the classic instruments 'hot rod' series too.
I like the fact that they're electronic. No big lines and cables to rout. Everything is in the harness.

You just have to be carefull when you install the sender units.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have the Classic instruments gauges also. Easy installation and have been very reliable.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Despite all the negative comments I've read, my SW gauges have worked perfect for 3 years. Maybe I got the last seven good ones they made.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Stewart Warner is also an option. When a small group of users such as us, seems to have a high degree of problems with these gauges, I really think it is worth it to change. I went with SW because I have used them before for other things. The Classics have a very high approval rating. I think you should go to one of the two.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
The only negative comments I have heard is about the Autometer Gauges..........

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
Go back in the archieves two or three years; back when a lot of people were getting the SW sets with the kit from FFR. People were complaining about the temp gauges being inaccurate (mine are within 5°F compared to an infrared thermometer) and the tach being jumpy and as responsive as a sun dial, etc, etc. I've had no problems. All my needles are still attached after 12,000 miles. I never have to tap on them to get the needles "unstuck".

·
6,559 Posts
Another vote for classic gauges. Never a problem and going on my fourth year

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Carl, has this thread gone a stray? You mention the Autometer Traditional series. The archive threads on problematic Autometers are for the Vintage series (needles falling off, stuck gauges, etc.). I don't think people have had consistant bad experiences with the Traditional series, but they are also not the classic looking Cobra gauges. The Traditional series have chrome bezels, red pointers, black face with white numbers.

That said, I also like the gauges from Classic if you are looking for the vintage look.

·
8,350 Posts
I have the AutoMeter Vintage gauges; no problems. They may go through some rough handling in the mail, etc. and therin the problem may lie. By the way, I never see the Vintage line advertised in Summit, Jegs, etc. Why not?

·
Charter Member
994 Posts
My entire speedo face just fell off yesterday. It is an Autometer classic 180, reverse speedo. The face is captured within the glass but now just rocks back and forth. I can see both screws frolicking around at the bottom of the gage. There are 5K to 6K miles on it over 18 months.

BTW is there a warranty on these?

Robert

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Dale,
They are on the Summit site (BTW, if you haven't tried their new web site it is awesome, at least 5 times as many parts as in their paper catalog). Search by department and when you get the the gauges section look up new products. They are all there. www.summitracing.com

·
Charter Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mark,
The Classic gauges are the look i'm after but from what i know the trans i'm using sends info electronically to the gauges and the Classic speedo is a manual setup. I love the reverse speedo look. I guess i'm going to have to cough up the extra
for the electronic to manual converter so i can use the classics...

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
Carl,
I love the look also and originally upgraded to the Vintage gauges when I bought my coupe. Once I looked at them, I sold them. They're true twenty footers (imo, once you get close they look really cheap and plastic). I've now gone with the Autometer Cobalt analogs (you can see them on Summit's site also). Yes, they cost more, but they will set off my interior and they are one of the only 270 degree sweep electric gauge sets that I've seen. They also look kind a retro.

What trans are you using? Classic Gauges does make some pretty cool gauges that have an electronic speedo.

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
Carl, my advice is to cancel from FFR, and buy them seperate. Remember you pay state taxes when you register the car, based on the FFR invoice. So, the lower that original invoice, the less Uncle Sam will nail you.

·
6,559 Posts
Cool C,

My classics were all electronic and came with everything I needed from TriStates.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I have had no bad experiences with the Autometer Vintage gauges. I never had any problems with the stock donor gauges either. I have built 30 plus complete dashes.

I can't say the same for S-W or Smiths.

Roger

1 - 20 of 20 Posts