Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A revisit has shown they can do the work but have concerns regarding the max and min settings and the "book" dosn't show anything. Interestingly enough, a 94-96 Mustang GT is similar to the "book" settings...

Just visited the local shop. They have an electronic computer controlled unit that has no program for a Cobra alignment. Do they use a mustang as reference base? If so what year? What other suggestions are there????

[ November 02, 2005, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Wantdat ]

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
wantdat:

We ran into this problem too.. most of the people running alignment shops nowadays don't know much more than to punch up the car on the computer and use those settings.

Almost all of the computerized alignment systems have overrides that allow you to set the caster, camber and toe to values that you specify, AND the accuracy of the values. Tell the guy to get out his alignment machine manual and to find out how to set them manually.. the first alignment we had done (on the go-cart) was done like this.. the guy said "I don't know how to change the values, I just choose the car". I talked him into letting me run thru the computer and we quickly found how to set the values.

Failing that, try to find a reputable race shop, they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

HTH!

Cheers,

Will

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Will is right. Also, the longer the shop has been in business and the longer the people have been there, the better chance you have that they can deal in the specs you give them.

The second shop I visited was like that, they did not even blink when I gave them the specs. They just went at it.

Good luck.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
You have two options: 1) find a shop with a system that allows entry of the values you are looking for or 2) buy a Longacre caster/camber tool for $80 and do it yourself.

·
ff cobra master craftsman
2,782 Posts
we have a old hunter alignment machine at work
and there is was no way to enter custom specs
you can really enter what ever vehicle you want,
because after you compensate all the sensors and
measure for caster you will get numbers for your
car then just make the adjustments off your numbers. you wont be able to use the little blocks to watch your adjustments come in.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
732 Posts
Do it yourself. They do it to a number. Nothing magical here. Just set it to the numbers yourself. Actually pretty easy. Just takes a little time. Goodluck, Glen

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
I did mine with a fastrack. I just ran at the roundup and it worked perferctly.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,700 Posts
A shame the guy is so inexperienced.If you are stuck w/ him use a Mustang for a car.Pick an IRS Cobra if your's is IRS.Having the car model makes things easier for a goober,but you will always get a readout of your cars actual numbers.You just don't get the numbers changing from red(out of spec) to green(in spec).And the builtin info on how to adjust the car won't apply.Good luck

·
5,559 Posts
It is well worth the expense, and time to learn to do it yourself. It is a really cool skill to learn, and is not hard at all (at least with our cars). Plan on about 3-4 hrs. to do it yourself the first time, until you get used to the physics involved. It's mostly about careful measurements to get a baseline reference, then everything else is relative to that. A level area really helps too.

Brian

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
If you don't want to do it yourself, find a shop the has the older style Bear alingnment analog type equipment. The guy I use used to have a Bonniville streamliner, and he defiantly knows his stuff. If you go to a shop, and ask them to align it to your specifications, and they refuse, walk away and find another shop. Also, stay away from Pep Boys, Sears, and other full service shops. You want one that specializes just in alignment. John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts