Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have completed Electric power steering assist on my coupe. I will post details on my build thread. Once I completed the E-power steering I set the alignment as follows on the front: 1 deg negative camber, 6 deg positive caster, and the toe is negative a 1/16" smaller at the front of the tire than the rear of the tire, in other words with straight edges pressed firmly against the outside of each front tire, then measure from side to side on the back of the tire then the front of the tire, the distance is 1/16 of an "inch" smaller at the front of the tire than the rear. (Toe In)

That said, the car still feels a little darty. It was the same feel when it was manual steering, but I only had 3 degrees of positive caster. Do I need more Toe In to cure the darty feel or should I run more positive caster???
Oh yes, and the front tires are 245/40 ZR 18

I would really appreciate some alignment experience from those of you out there that have experienced this and have conquered it.

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
With power steering you can go up to +8 degrees caster. That's how I have mine set. +8 degrees caster, -0.5 degrees camber, approx 3/32 toe in. What tire pressures? That can make a difference too.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't checked the tire pressure recently. What should I run for pressure front and rear? I can do that first then maybe increase the toe in.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
General recommendation for our cars is around 22-24 psi for street driving. Adjusting the toe could help. But I'd sure look at adding more caster.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
UPDATE!

I dropped the pressure in all of my tires down to 24 psi and that has pretty much eliminated the darty feel. I could possible give it another 1/32 of toe in to make sure without wrecking tire wear.
Thank you edwarb for the advice. I'm going to keep my caster at + 6 degrees for right now. It's still easy to steer and I don't want to kill that if I don't need more. (y)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts