Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm getting an alignment this afternoon. I have power steering and I know the specs to use, 6* caster,-.5 camber, and 1/6" toe in.
My alignment guy has asked me for the toe-in in degrees. Does someone know the toe-in number in degrees, or have better math skills the me to figure it out? I have 17" wheels.
I think when I had it aligned 2 years ago we used .30* total.
Thanks for your help. My alignment appointment is at 1:00 central time.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Toe in calculator

Mike:

Use this calculator to convert inches of toe in to degrees.

The Complete Circular Arc Calculator

You need the radius of your front tires from the center line to the tread and the amount of toe in needed. In your case 1/16 inch of toe. Make sure you change the units of measure in the calculator to inches.

If you crank in 13.5 inches as the radius and .0625 (1/16) inch as the two input measurements you will get .275 degrees or close to your .30 degrees number. I would use something between 1/16 inch and 3/32 inch which is where your .30 degrees is.

Ron

·
Registered
739 Posts
Interesting, I have never seen the spec for toe listed in degrees. And I am even more surprised your alignment guy can't deal with a linear measurements for the toe.

Anyway, assuming a 26" tire, 1/16" of toe is .27 degrees. I would round it and just say 1/4 degree so he doesn't get confused though.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Toe in measurements

Brian:

All the new laser and electronic alignment machines work with degrees for all measurements, not just caster and camber, except for track, etc . Most of the old time guys have retired and the new people running the alignment bays wouldn't know how to measure toe in with a tape. It's a new world out there.

The new alignment machines look more like the deck of the Starship Enterprise than the old ones did.

Hunter ProAlign Alignment Systems - Fast, Accurate Alignment at an Economical Price

Ron

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, that really helps. Ron, your right, it's a new high tech machine, with a young but experienced guy who has only worked in degrees.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,959 Posts
If worse comes to worse just have him look up some common rear drive cars and compare toein specs. Just don't use front wheel drives as a reference.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.