Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 6 years and a severe injury that almost stalled my build, I have a car ready for the road in primer.
I got my VIN assigned in 2012 after the power train went in. So my VIN# is a 2012 number.
2 days ago I put it in a trailer and took to a garage recommended by a friend. Talked up as real car guys that know hot rods and custom cars.
Long story short is now I'm being screwed. I have to have a brake failure warning light, side marker lights and bumpers to pass.
I already have high brake, heating and daytime running lights. Transport Canada says I have a 2012 VIN so I have to comply with 2012 regulations.

So WTF do I do now?

Gerry

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem doesn't seem to be with the garage. The guy is a car guy and connected with the Edmonton mustang club and runs top fuel funny car.
The issue seems to be coming from transport Canada insisting that because the car has a 2012 VIN it has to conform to 2012 regs.
My car has plenty of mods on it now so it's not exactly period correct, but I'm pissed I have to jump thru even more gov't hoops for some pencil dick bureaucrat.
I suspect the rules have changed.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Vehicle registration and licensing is provincial jurisdiction. I don't see what Transport Canada has to do with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gerry

Talk with guys at Fountain Tire in St. Albert on St. Albert Tr. I believe a couple other people have taken their cars there with no issues. Also contact Competitioncobra. He just got his done this past summer

Perry

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't mean transport Canada, my error. it's the people at Alberta transportation. This ballooned into something stupid when the mechanic had a question about kit cars. Then the agent on the other end started asking more questions about my car. I may be stuck here. The mechanic is trying to pass me but is now has to cover his butt too. Alberta Trans is aware of my inspection and my VIN so I may spend a pile of money at another garage only to get the same issues.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If/when you sort this out, please tell the story. I'm working on the last couple things before I try to get mine inspected in the spring and I've been dreading it for this exact reason.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
An update.

Got some info from another forum member via PM. Hes mechanic and follow Cobra owner.
Anyway, long and the short of it is timing. Alberta has adopted national transportation standards. The Auditing process for inspections has changed. My take on it is the leash is being shortened with regard to "Ubuilts & hot rods" as their called. For the most part you have to comply with the regulations for the year of your VIN. There are some exceptions. Like I got a ruling from the AbTrans engineer that said I don't need the brake failure warning light. They emailed me a letter for the shop exempting me. I've been also talking with a guy from AbTrans, whose is a car builder himself and knows the factory 5 cars. Had some good tips on what works to get through this.
What is needed is 2 exterior mirrors, 3rd brake light, side marker lights, wipers & washer, heater, bumpers (which I can remove again after) & DRL's.
Now I know some are saying go to another shop, BUT. The records are filed electronically with the registry now and I have an open file with 4 deficiencies.
So the original shop needs to complete it or likely a flag will be raised. Technology is a bitch...
Also when my wife and I retire, we want to be able to take the car to Arizona without border headaches. Or drive it across provincial borders without worrying a check stop may get me pulled off the road.
So it's the Gov't bat, ball & game. The one we have to play now.

Gerry

·
Junior Charter Member
1,384 Posts
An update.

What is needed is 2 exterior mirrors, 3rd brake light, side marker lights, wipers & washer, heater, bumpers (which I can remove again after) & DRL's.

Gerry
I just got my Roadster inspected for registration in NS and had to meet these same requirements plus a couple more.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got my Roadster inspected for registration in NS and had to meet these same requirements plus a couple more.
I think that seems to be the trend. Most if not all provinces will have the same standard. Bureaucrats and politicians have to justify their existence. There I go... getting all political.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
planning a Gen 3 coupe lights etc are easy but how do you put bumpers on that???
David W

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
planning a Gen 3 coupe lights etc are easy but how do you put bumpers on that???
David W
I'm doing something temporary for the inspection. Fabricating a couple of bumpers out of some aluminium tubing or channel. Then I'll remove them after. Right now I have the stainless quick jacks. To pass, I need something structural that attaches between to prevent body damage resulting from a bump. Kind of silly IMO, but playing the game.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,384 Posts
David W
You could check with forum member Oxide. He is building a Coupe in NS and I think he will be familiar with the bumper requirements and strategies for a coupe.

Reactions: David Williamson

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made it, I'm finally legal and got my plate this morning. Woo hoo....

For the next ones following this process, I have some information that will likely alter your build.
In January 2016. Alberta went electronic and adopted the national transportation standard. Not good for builders of Factory Five or any "U-built" vehicle. In my case, my vin is a 2012 number, so I had to conform with 2012 standards. With some exemptions because it's a home built car. The engineer and inspector at Alberta transportation were quick helpful and know the Factory Five cars.
That said. It had to have the following. High center brake light, Bumpers (quick jacks or over-riders by themselves aren't good enough. ) The hoop with over-riders with rear bumper are good or I fabricated a tube the goes between the quick-jacks which is also ok.
Also need sun visors. heater, right side exterior mirror, side marker lights that are DOT standard. Wipers and washer & daytime running lights.

So long long arm of government is trying to suck as much fun out of life as they can. I hear they have stepped up the audit process for inspection facilities, so this may change what they may or may not overlook.

Gerry

If anyone wants to see how I did these mods, feel free to contact me in the Edmonton area.

·
Junior Charter Member
343 Posts
Congrats! Yeah, I just started my build and am not happy about having to add these changes (added costs too!). Like what does a heater have to do with anything? The lights yes I can understand that but really? How about wipers, back up lights and such?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I hear they have stepped up the audit process for inspection facilities, so this may change what they may or may not overlook.

I'm finding this out the hard way...
I've been "legal" since fall 2017 and just got a letter from Alberta Transportation requesting an additional inspection. They want to audit the facilities inspection on my car. UGHHH.

I thought I was in the clear with all of this mess. I've got about a week or two to find a high mount brake light and side marker lights. I think I'm good with the rest, other than the stupid washer system.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm finding this out the hard way...
I've been "legal" since fall 2017 and just got a letter from Alberta Transportation requesting an additional inspection. They want to audit the facilities inspection on my car. UGHHH.

I thought I was in the clear with all of this mess. I've got about a week or two to find a high mount brake light and side marker lights. I think I'm good with the rest, other than the stupid washer system.
Initially it was a real pain in the butt to have to comply with all these extra regs, but now that it's over I'm glad I did. Check out "superbrite LEDS" website. They stock a lot of small auto LEDs that are SAE compliant. I actually like the look on mine when lit up.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts