Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short of removing the body, I'm just wondering what others have done to seal off the the voids between the aluminum panels and the fiberglass body to prevent heat from getting into the cabin from the air flowing past the headers/sidepipes and into the cabin?

I am not talking about the heat "through" the footbox panels. I'm talking about the air flow around the aluminum footbox area between the side of the car body.

Depending on the spot it varies between almost 2" to a small gap and without removing the body it seems like it would be difficult to seal the gap.

Driving at about 60 mph there is a tremendous amount of very warm air coming into the cabin which if I put my hand between the frame and fiberglass I can feel is coming in.

That was fine during the winter driving when a bit of extra heat didn't matter but now that we're getting to the hot summer months it's making it overly warm in the cab.

Just wondering if anyone else has tackled this issue on an already finished car and if so, how you solved it?

·
Junior Charter Member
1,384 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Foam Rod

If your body is already installed you need to purchase two of these from McMaster.com Easy to shape and not too bad to tuck in between the body and sheet metal. Easier without the louvers installed. The foam rods are easily compressible and do a great job of sealing. Just take your time.

There is also a vendor that sells it in kit form but I cannot remember who it is. Basically the same thing though.

https://www.mcmaster.com/8875k13

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Walk into any Walmart and pickup some of the soft foam used around AC units. WAY less than the stuff from McMaster's and very easy to install.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,726 Posts
The trouble w/ the AC foam is that it is open cell and you can blow right through it. When you stuff it into place and compress it, I expect it is less open cell but still.

·
Not a waxer
11,769 Posts
The trouble w/ the AC foam is that it is open cell and you can blow right through it. When you stuff it into place and compress it, I expect it is less open cell but still.
Craig,
While the AC foam is technically open cell it is very dense. I've used it on a bunch of cars and it is quite effective at stopping drafts and airflow.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Craig,
While the AC foam is technically open cell it is very dense. I've used it on a bunch of cars and it is quite effective at stopping drafts and airflow.

Jeff
X2. I have the exact foam Jeff recommended, from Ace Hardware. Added after #8674 was finished. Took the front splash guards out and pushed it into place. Zero air flows through there.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,726 Posts
I used to get that foam wherever I happened be so not sure of the exact brand. But 3-4 years ago I held a piece over my mouth and made like blowing out a candle. There was virtually no resistance. So I quit using it.

·
Not a waxer
11,769 Posts
I used to get that foam wherever I happened be so not sure of the exact brand. But 3-4 years ago I held a piece over my mouth and made like blowing out a candle. There was virtually no resistance. So I quit using it.
Curiosity got me so I tried this...with effort I could blow through the stuff I use but my cheeks puffed out and there is no way I would get enough velocity to blow out my Birthday cake candles! Either I'm not a good blower or we're using different foam :)

Jeff

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
That, and there is no real air flowing through these areas. Not like you have a hurricane wind. I have used the same stuff on two builds, 100% stopped the air flow, and its 100% easier to install on a built car than pool noodles.

·
7,676 Posts
I had the same issue but solved it extremely cheap.

Went to the local 99-cent store and bought a couple of the “pool noodle” swim toys. Easy to cut and stuff them into the gaps. They’ve held up for 10-years now.

Only cost me a couple of bucks.

Ray

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
Pool noodles here

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
x2 on AC foam, cheap and easy to install.
I removed the front tires and pushed it back with a yardstick, all the way to the door hinge. (don't forget to cross the top of the footbox too)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts