Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you running turbos, centrifugal (procharger or vortech style), or super chargers (roots, tvs, or twin screw). Wich type of intercooler do you use and why?

Those using air to air how do they handle the intown stop and go traffic?

Those using air to water how much more plumbing is required for the reserve tank and where did you mont the reserve tank?

· Registered
739 Posts
Each type of intercooler has it's advantages. Air to air systems are simple and very effective at reducing the intake temps. They can approach closer to the ambient temperature because you are not going through a secondary loop of water. I never had any heat soak issues with a front mounted intercoolersin my mustang. If the intercooler is mounted in the engine compartment and don't get adequate flow, then yes it is a major problem. Any airflow from moving quickly knocks the temps down. Of course, you could run the radiator cooling fan all the time and help the issue as well.

A key advantage to air to water sytems is the ability to sub cool the water system. Throw some ice in the water tank and you can get intake temps below atmospheric. :D perfect for drag racing, but the benefit is short lived. Another major advantage for air to water is packaging. With a positive displacement type blower, there is no reasonable way to fit an air to air intercooler before the inlet charge goes to the engine. But an air to water intercooler can be sandwhiched between the blower and the engine and provide some benefit.

So the answer depends on packaging and your goals. I would argue a sufficiently sized air to air is the best option if packaging allows and you don't care about sub cooling for drag racing. Hopefully that helps.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never had any heat soak issues with a front mounted intercoolersin my mustang.
How much boost are you running? I also see by your tag that you use "alcholic" is that used as the only fuel or is your motor using a water/methanol style injection to compensate for higher boost levels while still using gas as the main fuel source?

With a positive displacement type blower, there is no reasonable way to fit an air to air intercooler before the inlet charge goes to the engine.
I have never heard of one either but I only mentioned them just incase one did exisit.

· Registered
739 Posts
I was running 20psi most of the time. I have to admit, I never did any accurate data logging of the inlet temperature, but I did monitor the factory IAC a few times. I never felt heat soak was an issue. One thing to keep in mind; if you are just running around town and not making boost, not much extra heat is being added to the airstream, so the intercooler doesn't have to shead much heat. By 40mph, you are getting substantial airflow through the intercooler/radiator to cool it anyway. I usually ran the radiator fan just to make me feel better, but I was usually pushing the limits of the fuel.

I say the car was alcholic because it ran on E85. It was cheap fun. I played with water/alky injection a little bit early on (while still running gasoline), but I never really liked it. It seemed like the gains in knock resistance were marginal or the engine would bog down. I think the trick with alky injection is to pull out fuel from the injector tables and add more alky. That gets really tricky in my opinion though. It takes careful tuning and you don't really have a margin of error incase you run out of fluid or the system fails. I guess that's why I set the car up to run E85. It was reasonably easily available and much more fail safe. You could even get fancy and have a switch or sensor to tune for any mixture between gasoline and E85.

· Junior Charter Member
2,688 Posts
I run an air to air intercooler and it works great for my application. Stop and go traffic is not an issue because you're not making any boost. No doubt for drag racing an air/water would drop the temps more with ice in the tank. Mine's just a street car so air to air does what I need it to do and is reliable. Cheers.

· Registered
592 Posts
Can't answer your question exactly, but the water temp on my SALEEN supercharger has never gotten over 130 degrees in 13 years of driving.

Roy from Springboro

· Vendor
8,338 Posts
On a cobra, you have room and cool, high speed air is readily available so use air to air. Much lighter and simpler to install. Data logging inlet vs ambient temps with a proper sized IC, I see about 10°F increase running 9lbs of boost in a cobra.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.