Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm frustrated and :mad:
Air is slowly running out from the tires..
Tires are allmost new, size 265 R15"
What we noticed is the the tires are sliding on the rims ( we marked the
tires directly in front of the air inlet and after 20 miles the mark moved
1.5 inch to the side ) :confused1:
I hope i make myself clear
We removed the tires, cleaned the rims , added some seal material,
but the problem keeps on going.
Solutions are appriciated.
Thank you !

·
Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
Tires seal up by thousands of rotations from long drives. Sitting in the garage, not. Almost nobody has the problem with a daily driver.

It's a major issue in the NG and Reserves, vehicles that sit 28 days at a time have issues like dead batteries. When you take them out on 800 mile convoys, you get broken bulbs, bad fan belts, blown tires, etc. After a few days it all settles down.

Cars and most of what go in them don't just sit, they have to be run. It's very significant some of the highest rated award winning show cars are pushed off the trailer to the stall. No oil, a fake battery, plastic block, mechanical brake only. Zero maintenance issues. All show, no go.

Take it out on a 500 mile trip and see how the tires seal up then. Don't forget your torque wrench, tighten the lugs every 100 miles until you trust them to stay tight.

These things beg to be used, not sit.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
What pressure are you running in them? Is the rim width suitable for the tire width, as there are limits?

When first installed, what air pressure did you apply initially to get the bead to pop? Hopefully you ran it up to a high pressure, then backed it down to the running pressure you want. If not they may not be seated properly from the get go.

Worse comes to worse, you could use bead-locks.
Mickey Thompson Performance Tires & Wheels

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Take it out on a 500 mile trip and see how the tires seal up then. Don't forget your torque wrench, tighten the lugs every 100 miles until you trust them to stay tight.
These things beg to be used, not sit.
1. My whole country is shoerter than 500 miles :001_rolleyes:
2. I are probably correct.. my car does 40 miles a month :sad:
Thanks !

·
Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
I'm not a grammaticist, no problem. I don't throw stones when I only speak one language.

I didn't see your location, but I probably wouldn't know to put enough significance to it. I've mounted, balanced, sold, and used tires over the years, selling them retail actually taught me the most. You get a lot of customer feedback in that regard.

They have to be run in to seal against the bead, it basically takes some miles over time, or a good long road trip. Just new, sitting on new rims, they don't get warmed up, and the surface of the rubber isn't compressed into the face of the rim to conform tightly to seal.

On the other hand, even done right, they will still lose pressure over time - and have to be checked and aired up. We do it more often to detect leaks or damage, along with under the hood. Better to know than not.

Another affect is simply ambient temperature. Warmed up, the pressure goes up. One thing a lot of makers are now recommending is the use of nitrogen to inflate the tires. It reduces oxygen in the tire, which reduces oxidation and deterioration of the rubber internally. Racers use nitrogen because it doesn't change the inflated pressure as much under harsh conditions. Some of these guys are tuning things to .25 psi. They see incremental seconds on the track.

Normal stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.