Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Have Kit Will Build
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using an Autometer Air/Fuel ratio gauge? Is it accurate? Says only works with 'narrow band' oxygen sensor. Can I just go to the parts store and ask for one? Where does oxy. sensor go if I don't have one - will be running 4>4. Thanks!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Narrow bands are a bit out dated, but detter than nothing. Yes, you can go to the parts store and get a standard single wire o2 sensor. If you haven't already bought one, look into an Innovaite wide band. it is worth every penny.

·
5,559 Posts
I have a nearly new one if you are looking to buy a Phantom series one. pm me if interested. I ended up not running it because I swapped in an accelerometer instead.

Brian

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Agree with Jeremy on getting a wide band instead. I use Inovative but there are others. Basically a norrow band will just show you rich or lean of 14.7-1 afr,but not by how much. Wide band will show the amount of rich or lean above this in actual afr numbers or lamda value's. You can also use a Autometer wide band guage to see the read outs from a wide band.
Best to buy a unit that will record while you drive. After your drive, review and also have a record to compare to when making changes. Not easy to watch flashing numbers on a gauge while driveing.
Bought my Inovative unit from Wayne(cool parts) at a good price.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,485 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a narrowband sensor for it's intended purpose, but it isn't right for measuring fuel ratios away from 14.7 or 1.0 Lambda. For what you want to do, a wideband unit with the correct sensor is needed. The Innovate unit is hard to beat for the price, but there are other choices out there too.

·
Have Kit Will Build
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK - I understand some things better now. I was looking in to this because I had a chance to buy an Autometer gauge, which matched the gauges I already have, for a good price. But I see that it may not really give me the info I would desire anyway - and now I see why it might be priced low. Thanks all!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts