Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mk4 with a 351W that I am getting close to putting the body on. The engine has a cheap chrome air filter (14" dia x 3" high) that looks like it will not fit under the hood. Any recommendations for a lower profile air filter that will fit a Holley 750 cfm carb? Thanks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Wait for it

You might be surprised that it actually fits. I have a 460/Torker/Holley HP830 in mine, using a temporary Edelbrock "dropped base" air cleaner (also 14 x 3), and it looked WAY too tall, but when I put the body on, and laid the hood in place, it's less than 1/2" too tall.

For me, the further temporary solution will be to replace the filter element with a 14 x 2" just to get my tags, then finish my shaker hood scoop later.

HTH,

Derrick

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm using a K-N filter that is 3" tall x I think 10 inch in dia. It fits inside the hood scoop on the MK III which does allow me extra height. This is on a 5L variant which is shorter than the 351. Edelbrock RPM Air Gap manifold with a 4150 series Holley and a 1/2 in. insulator under the Carb.

Jack

·
6,296 Posts
I've tried 'em all. You're right, what you have now won't work. If you want 14" it must have a drop base and then you'll need a short element. I cobbled this one together with parts from three different aircleaners. IIRC the element is about 2½".

Then there's this:

This is my current setup:

Don't mind the valve covers, this is a 351. Performance wise they are all the same. that is to say the run great, and required no adjustments to the carb whatsoever.
HTH.
Frank

·
Junior Charter Member
325 Posts
Another Combination

I am using a Holley carb with a Weiand Stealth manifold and a ford racing 8x11x2.5" oval air cleaner. It fits fine and takes advantage of the scoop. The stealth is a mild high rise intake.

Attachments

·
Junior Charter Member
325 Posts
Frank, I am using one on a 351w

Frank I must be missing something. I am using the current setup shown in the picture on my 351W. Is there some reason I should remove it?

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
The ovals like Beal posted don't work on a 351 no matter where you get it.
Frank
I've seen several people with 351 based engines with oval air cleaners. You just need to get creative with your mainifold, engine mounts, and/or tranny tail shaft elevation.

·
6,296 Posts
Frank I must be missing something. I am using the current setup shown in the picture on my 351W. Is there some reason I should remove it?
Are you sure? Your sig line says 5.0. But let me clarify a bit. For a 351 based motor with an Edelbrock Performer RPM or Victor JR the hood hits the air cleaner.

Frank

·
Junior Charter Member
325 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out

Hi Frank: I am just finishing up this 351 install and forgot about updating my profile. I wasn't sure it was going to work, maybe I just lucked out using the Weiand Stealth intake. I used some clay on the back side top of the air cleaner and had about 3/4 of an inch to the hood underside and 3/4 to the brace molded into the hood liner. I am using the poly motor mounts.

·
6,296 Posts
The Weiand Stealth is about 3/8"± lower than the Edelbrock RPM and even more on an Air Gap or Victor JR. That makes a big difference and unless you're putting your own motor together it's not what usually comes standard on most crate engines. Good pick by you.
Frank

·
Registered
566 Posts
Here's how I did it ...

I ran into the same problem. I contacted K&N, they had a 2 1/2 inch air cleaner that works for me.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Picture of my 351w with oval cobra air cleaner. I had to use a very short adapter plate from Holley....I think I got it from summit racing. I have the part number somewhere. The yellow coil wire is long gone, it was all I could get at the time.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.