Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My kit came with the Quality Roadsters / Vintage Air AC setup. This was the last coupe kit that was sold. I'm having a little bit of trouble determining exactly how the components mount in the dash. An aluminum mounting panel came with it. I understand this may have been an optional piece or came about in later models. If I try to use the panel it moves the evaporator too close to the outside upper dash rail and it doesn't fit. The only way I can see it fits together is to mount the panel between the fan and the evap. Without the frame it fits but one of the defrost ducts exits right into the frame rail.
Here are some pics:

My plan is to not use the panel but fabricate my own mounts on the rear but how do I secure the front blower side? Does the evap case have to be trimmed top and bottom to get it to fit? Doing that may give enough clearance but the drains hitting the 2X2 frame still might prevent the evap case from mounting to the blowers.
Hope someone can give some guidance.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Sorry, I thought I may be able to help, but that unit looks quite different than the Vintage Air unit that I got from FFR. I didn't get a panel with mine either.

The one I got would normally overhang the lower crossmember on the passenger-compartment side. However, I wanted to build a glovebox into the dash, so I turned the unit around, so that it overhangs the crossmember on the engine side. That gave me enough room for a shallow glovebox, but I then needed to modify the firewall since the unit was farther forward. In either case, all the vents exit at the top, if I remember correctly. It also necessitated mounting the wiper motor on the driver side.

·
Charter Member
3,740 Posts
I can give you a suggestion.
Flip the fan motor housing so the motors hang up (instead of down). That should give you clearance from the 2x2 frame and be able to move the whole unit towards the front into the engine compartment more.

·
Premium Member
9,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips.
Russ, my rear deck area looks like I copied your build.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.